List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Redhat 7.1 and KDE2.2 are go! - But not for everyone
From:       "Hoppin.Bob" <hoppin () niehs ! nih ! gov>
Date:       2001-08-20 15:50:57

Yes; very good.

-----Original Message-----
From: mattc
Sent: 2001, August 20, Monday 10:38 AM
To: kde-usability@mail.kde.org

I really disagree with this email.  It is RedHat's job to make a good
distrubution that installs easily, and is stable.  I have RH7.1, and
it is
just that as far as KDE goes.  I am sure that when the put out RH7.2
and it
includes KDE 2.2 that will be stable as well.

We, KDE, have put out an upgrade to our product.  Think for a minute
that we
are a business, making a product.  Who do we want to use our product,
be
excited about an upgrade, and have a good experience with our product?
The
answer is RH users.  They represent nearly 50% of the market.  (BTW-I
also
have Mandrake 8.0, and the problem is just as bad)

Think about the experience of the less technical user.  Right now it
is
absolutly impossible for someone without programming knowledge, even
experienced users who are very aware of the new version, to upgrade
KDE.
They will have to wait until RH comes out with a new version.

While it may not be a bad thing to let the major distros handle KDE
upgrades
(the experience is much like that of a W95 -> W98 upgrade) it makes
our
product look a bit unpolished.

IMHO KDE needs an "Anaconda" program that can go through a system and
figure
out exactly what needs to be updated for the new version to run, and
then
through a series of prompts make those changes.  Now that would be a
polished
system.  It is what our users expect.

Take care,
Matt

On Sunday 19 August 2001 06:59 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 19 August 2001 05:26, S A Jarrett-Sprague wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > There is nothing like the satisfaction of following the
instructions and