List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A Question About Implementation
From:       Jim Conner <jconner83 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-16 9:52:09

This KDE Usability project is linked on the main KDE web page.  There has
been articles about us on dot.kde.org.  More than likely there are some
developers that know about us.  Either Jono or each report maintainer needs
to contact the appropriate developer(s) to let them know when new reports and
studies are written.  The developer can then comment to the list, Jono or the
report maintainer as to what their thoughts are about the reports or studies.
 Communication is a two-way street.  We need feedback from the developers and
they need feedback from us.  The feedback we'll get from the developers will
be on the difficulty of implementing certain solutions to usability issues or
even their personal opinions of these issues.  Most developers want their
project more easy to use and more widely accepted.
One thing the Usability web page needs is the e-mail address and name of each
developer for each project.  This can be on the Maintainer's web page next to
the maintainer.  This would facilitate the maintainer's communication with
the developer when new reports and studies are written.  Hopefully each
maintainer will create a good dialog with each developer.  We need to present
our ideas and opinions as just that and not mandantory changes that need to
be done.  The key to it this communication with the developer is to convince
them why our ideas and opinions are good and solid solutions to make KDE more
usable for the user.  If our solutions are impossible or near impossible to
implement, then we need to either come to a compromise with the developer,
come up with a different solution, or bring it back to the list to be
discussed.  The more we listen to the developers the more receptive they will
be of us.  The reports and studies have to be written so that the developer
will understand why certain changes need to be done in their project.  If the
developer can see why these changes need to be done, they will be more
receptive to making these changes.  Communication is the key to the success
of the KDE Usability project, both directly to the developer and in the
written reports and studies that we write for the developers to read.

Jim

--

  3:42am  up 23 days,  4:14,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00