List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Task Analysis for Web Browser
From:       Emerald Arcana <emerald-arcana () home ! com>
Date:       2001-08-14 23:33:16

Grr, I sent this out last night but it wasn't received by the list, so I'm
going to try again.  Apologies if you get this twice.

A lot of the stuff is pretty standard.  It gets MUCH more interesting at the
bottom with the bookmarks.  One day, I'll make this nice and clean or
something.  (I don't know how to use any of the funny documentation tools
like KDoc or SGML or whatever they are...)

--
WEB BROWSER TASK ANALYSIS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Preamble: Until this is reviewed by a lot of other people and confirmed, this
really is only just "my opinion".  If you do not agree with my opinion, let's
start a thread about it and we can discuss it and come to a consensus.  I
have no scientific proof to support this task analysis either.  If anyone has
scientific proof to support this task analysis, please let me know. :)

REMINDER: This is very quick, very swift, almost hack-like.  Don't criticize,
just discuss. :)

By Irwin Kwan, for the KDE Project

VERSION 0.01, 2001-08-11: Initial revision.
VERSION 0.011 2001-08-13: Added task analysis for "Entering Location" and
"Adding Bookmarks"

~~

* What is a web browser?

A web browser is something that displays web pages using the HTTP and stuff
like that.  The pages are usually written in HTML, although nowadays with
technology being the way it is, everything and your kitchen sink can nowadays
be displayed in your web browser.

For now, we're going to concentrate on viewing information located on the
World Wide Web, which consists mainly of HTML pages and images, and the
occasional Java applet.  We also have backend scripts, but these mainly
manipulate HTML.  The end result: we want to concentrate on getting and
presenting INFORMATION.

Konqueror is going to be the model for the External Tasks.  At this moment,
no External Task analysis exists.  I hope to add this in later.

~~

Two basic steps for Task Analysis:

1. Model the tasks
2. Simplify and improve the Task Model

~~

INTERNAL TASKS: What the user must conceptualize and think of before he/she
can get started.

a) User Classes

   -Any computer user interested in using the World Wide Web to retrieve
information.  Call this the "Web User".

   This can be subclassed into many users, such as those who do research, or
use messageboards, or update databases.

GOAL of the users: To retrieve and read information from the world wide web.

** Konqueror must be able to cater to ALL users who use the world-wide web,
no matter what their reasoning is behind it.  This is the "default" setting.

** Users who have specific needs should be able to Configure a View Profile
to suit their specifications.

   -System/network administators, who need to configure the browser so that
computer users can surf the web.

b) List of tasks that users perform

(This list is just a random brainstorm at the moment.)

For "Web User":

CONCEPTUAL:

-Decide on a web page to access.
(We can't really do a lot about this task, but nonetheless it is VERY
important).

ACCESS:

-Access a web page specified by the user
	-Through the URL
	-Through browsing a directory tree

-Access a web page through a hyperlink
-Access a frequently-accessed web page
-Access a recently-accessed web page

WINDOWS:

-Open a blank window
-Open a window of the same web page
-Open a new window of a specified web page
-Close a window

FILES:

-Save HTML page
      -With images
      -Without images

-Save ALL web pages for a web site

-Save image to disk

PRINT:

-Print a web page
       -Colour/noncolour
       -With/without background

-Print a whole page, or print currently selected frame

-Print preview
-Find out number of pages the resulting web page will take up
-Customize header/footer

-Print web page in as few pages as possible

-View current web page, rendered properly
-View page information, such as date modified, filename, access controls,
security, etc.
-View page source
-View image

-Load page without images
-Toggle on/off the loading or display of images

-Search for text in a page

-increase/decrease font size

NAVIGATION:

-Go forward one page
(Browsing the queue of recently-accessed web pages)

-Go up one level in the directory tree

-Stop loading one page
-Reload a page from server

-Go forwad n pages

-Save page for later retrieval (Bookmarks!)

-Browse recently-accessed items in Navigation Bar
	-Just typed-in pages?
	-All pages?

-Browse recently-accessed pages

-To browse the list of recently-accessed pages even after you shut down an
instance of Konqueror and load it up again.
    (Side note: I've always wondered why, when you load up a new web browser,
it doesn't automatically keep your old "Back" list from before you shut down.
 This doesn't rellay belong here but I felt that I had to mention it.)

-Where the 'Home' button goes
-Which page loads initially by default

BOOKMARK USAGE:

-Add new bookmark with known URL
     -In the main area
     -Inside a folder

-Add current page to bookmarks
     -In the main area
     -Inside a folder

-Create a bookmarks folder

-Modify existing bookmark properties
-Delete bookmarks

-Access a web page in the bookmarks
	-In same Window
	-In new Window

TECHNICAL-Like Stuff:

-Proxy settings
-Java/Javascript/PHP/other embedded stuff settings
-Cache size and limitations
-User Agent Strings

c) Categorize the tasks in order of importance.

(Geez...!)

Listed by Most Important first.

- Accessing a web page through the bookmarks: frequently-accessed page.

Now that the Internet is more and more established, people tend to have
"favourite" sites to access.  These should be easily accessible.

- Typing in a web page that the user knows the URL for
- Going back one page
- Reloading a page
- Stopping the loading of a slow page

(Alternately, when people do research, they find that "really cool page" but
often forget to bookmark it and consequently lose it later on.  Is there a
way to solve this issue...?)

- It seems to me that people would "duplicate existing page in new Window"
more than "Open New Window".  Perhaps the top item in the "Location" menu
should be "New Window" and open the current web page by default, and that the
second item should be "Empty Window" (rather than New Window and Duplicate
Window).

-People

~~

Some things I noticed about Classes of Web Pages people may access

BACK/FORWARD buttons:

This is the list of "Recently-accessed web pages".

BOOKMARKS:

The list of user-defined web pages

Most Often Visited:

The list of most frequently-accessed web pages.

~~

New User Conceptual Models
--------------------------

Technical Terms for the New User:

Universal Resource Location (URL)
Hypertext Markup Language (HTML)
HTTP (Hypertext transfer Protocol?)
GIF images
JPEG images
html/htm files
World Wide Web
Hyperlinks
Web Browser
Bookmarks

Metaphors:

URL = Location
GIF/JPG = Images
html/htm files = Web Page
Hyperlinks = links
WWW = no metaphor
browsing web pages/surfing the web
Search Engine: examples: Google, Yahoo
Bookmarks is already a metaphor

-KDE isn't responsible for training new users to use the Internet.  It's
almost assumed that if you use Linux, you know what the World Wide Web is.
However, it may be safe to have these terms defined in a glossary in
Konqueror's Help Menu so that those unfamiliar with the technical jargon can
look it up.

~~

~~

Some other things I thought of randomly while writing this:

-Perhaps store:

	 Most-recently accessed items in a more obvious place.  Ever load up a
program like Word?  The last 5 accessed documents are right there for you to
click on in the File Menu.  Konqueror could do this and perhaps save these
last 5 entries in the BACK button as well.

PROBLEM (technical standpoint): how to handle multiple open Konquerors that
have accessed vastly different web pages.  If I have 2 open Konquerors and
Accessed sites that interleave... what would the Most-Recently-Used list look
like?

	 Most frequently accessed items in a more obvious place.  Konqueror already
does this under "Go".  I think it would be more appropriate to put this in
the Context Menu.  MORE Ambitious and controversial would be to put 5 icons
on the Toolbar that correspond with the most frequently-accessed items.

~~~~~
(WARNING: This is a very messy section and needs cleaning up when I have
time.)

Detailed Information of Tasks: in comparison to Konqueror

GOAL: Get information about a topic

Summary of Tasks:

Finding the URL for this topic
	(May involve using the Web: search engine)
Locate Web Browser Program
Entering the URL of this information into the web browser
Read resulting web page and verify that page contains proper information

Preconditions:

-User must know what topic is
-User must know how to find information about this topic.  (This can be a
whole task analysis on its own)
-User must know how to launch Browser (another UI analysis on its own)

-DATA: The URL.  The user's topic.

Tasks and subtasks:

Finding URL for the topic
	- Multiple methods are possible.
	- Most common is likely to use Search Engine to search for topic
information.  *We must make search engines easily accessible.
	- I didn't know this, but if you type some topic name into Konqueror's
location bar, it will automatically do a Google Search for you.  Perhaps a
feature that should be given more visibility, if possible.  A "tips and
tricks" page for Konqueror in the Help?

Locate Web Browser Program
       - Should be accessible from K Menu, Desktop, or Kicker.
       - This is the topic of another task analysis, but it is a problem
within KDE that people do not know what applications do based on their names.

Entering the URL of this information into web browser
	 - 2 or 3 main methods.

	 - This depends HIGHLY on how the URL is presented.
	   - URLs are presented in three ways:
	     1* As a Hyperlink
	     2* As text-on-screen
	     3* As text-off-screen
	     4* Text saved in Konqueror (history, back, etc)

	 Task: 1* Entering URL as Hyperlink

	   1- Locate hyperlink on screen
	   2- Click on hyperlink

	   Mental Model:

		  New User: "I click on this highlighted (or
		  differentiated) text or image.  It will bring me to
		  a new page that contains information related to this
		  text or image."

		  More experienced User: "I click on this
		  differentiated text or image.  It may or may not
		  bring me to a new page tha contains information
		  related to this text or image.  I must be prepared
		  to go back if this is not what I want."

	   Side effects:
		No known side-effects.

	   Common Problems:
		Cannot find on-screen the desired hyperlink
		Hyperlink is not the desired URL
		Hyperlink is broken: URL not found
		User clicks on wrong Hyperlink
		Hyperlink text or image not relevant to newly loaded page
		New page cannot be loaded (times out)

	   Other Problems:
		 User has no access to mouse
		 User has no visual access
		 User has difficulties differentiating visual differences

	Task: 2* Entering URL from text-on-screen

	  Note: this is text for a URL that is not a hyperlink

	  Task methodology 1:
	  1- Locate URL on screen
	  2- By visually looking, or by memorizing, type the URL into
	     the Location Bar
	     a- Click on location bar using the mouse
	     b- Type location using keyboard
	  3- "Enter" the data into the application by pressing enter or by clicking
the "Go" button

	  Task methodology 2:
	  1- Locate URL on screen
	  2- Copy URL on screen using mouse or keyboard
	     a- (I will not go through the Cut/Copy procedure)
	  3- Paste URL into Konqueror's Location Bar
	     a- Context-menu-click: Select "Paste"
	     OR
	     a- "Paste" mouse button (defaults to middle button in X)
	  4- "Enter" the data into the application by pressing enter or by clicking
the "Go" button

	  ** NOTE: if there is already a location highlighted, you must delete it
first by either using the "X>" button in Konqueror's bar, or by deleting it
by using the keyboard.  Do NOT use the mouse or you will lose your clipboard
contents.  This is an X paradigm and I do not believe it can be changed.

	  MENTAL MODEL:

		 All Users: "I have a URL that is supposed to be relevant to the
information I want to look up.  I will enter it into Konqueror so it can load
the page for me."

	  SIDE EFFECTS:
	       You may end up replacing the current web page with the new one.
	       You may end up losing the current web page if you select anything in
the meantime.

	  Problems:
		User cannot locate "Go" button
		Web page does not load or display (etc)
		Web page information is not relevant
		Mistyped Web Page

	  Other Breakdowns:
		No mouse access

	Task 3: Off-screen URL

	     Task is same as task 2.1 above: where you type the URL in manually.

	     Side Effects: same
	     Problems: Same

	Task 4: From within Konqueror:

	     This will be looked at in a separate Task Analysis.

	     So far, Konqueror pages can be accessed through:

	     -Back, Forward, Up buttons
	     -Stored locations in Location Bar
	     -Recently-accessed pages under "Go" (same as back)
	     -Most often-visited pages under "Go"
	     -Bookmarks
	     -Using "Open Location" under File Menu

~~

Commentary:

	Not much to say about accessing a location through the location bar.  There
are, in Konqueror, many ways to do this other than using the location bar.

Problem: Not locating Hyperlink
	Feedback is important.  Hyperlinks should always be differentiated by
different colours and preferably underlined as well.  However, this is in the
domain of the Web Page designer, and not as much in Konqueror.
	To provide "Hyperlink" feedback, should (and does) convert the Mouse Pointer
into a hand to show that this "does something different" when you click.  It
also displays the link location on the bottom.
	I am unsure, but I believe Konqueror underlines links when you hover over
them.  (This does not occur with pictures).

Problem: Loading incorrect pages
	   VERY IMPORTANT: to keep the list of recently accessed pages.  The "Back"
button is the universal "Undo" button: it restores the application state
after the user does something and finds that the action has failed (in case
of clicking on the wrong URL).

Problem: Pages are slow.

Feedback: provided to users that a page is loading.
	  -States at bottom of the screen: Retrieving Information from
http://www.blah.com
	  -Spinning Gear

Display as much as you can, as soon as possible.  Konqueror tends to be good
with this.

Once displayed, try not to change what is displayed.  Konqueror tends to be
bad at this.  It's not very bothersome really, but it looks unprofessional
when a web page loads with one font, and after 3 seconds, the whole page
layout is reformatted.  (I get this with usability.kde.org, for example: the
center table loads in one ugly font, and then it changes to a nice font).  I
think this has something to do with the Style Sheets or something, but it's
still sort of annoying.

Problem: Pages don't load

Error messages need to be very clear and concise.  If a page times out, the
user should be told exactly why it timed out.  "Page cannot be loaded.
<Reason>".  An error message should be given in simple terms, but should also
come with a technical explanation for new users to ask for help about.  "Page
could not be loaded within 60 seconds.  Cannot connect to server _______."

For example, "Unknown host www.asdf.orgc" is probably not the best error
message for the end user.

The messages I've seen:

"Unknown host __"
"Cannot connect to __"
"Timeout on server __"

Suitable for a person who knows what a host and a server are, but if they do
not, you should probably

Possible alternates:

"Cannot load web page from server http://www.asdf.orgc.
 www.asdf.orgc does not have a valid DNS entry."
(I believe this is the Netscape or IE Error message).

This is not the best either, but it defines that the web page cannot be
found.  It gives extra gibberish, but the user can safely ignore it (or ask a
friend or someone else for help if needed).

It would be GREAT if Konqueror has the ability to insert the information
related to the protocol into the Error Message: web page for "http",
directory list or file for "ftp", and so forth.  If you're trying to access
anything else, then you can probably assume the user has a better level of
expertise and knows what a "host" and server" are.

AFTER the error message is displayed, you should click OK to clear the
message, and the system should return you to the previous state.  As of now,
the location bar does not reset.  This is awkward but at the same time is
appropriate: if you mistype a location you want to easily be able to correct
it.  Unfortunately, the displayed location in the URL bar and the actual
loaded page don't match up anymore. ** Please comment. **

Problem: Keyboard Access

This is being addressed.  Tabbing or using the arrow keys is a BAD way of
navigating pages and I'm glad someone's looking into it. :)  I would suggest
that in addition to a grid, that a sidebar of links can be compiled so that
the user can go through them as a list, instead of looking through a long
page of links.  Just a suggestion: this is subject to review.

A mouse-emulation mode using the Numeric Keypad may also be a solution: I
believe this falls into the "grid" method that was proposed.

Problem: The "Go" icon may be unidentifiable

On my screen, my Konqueror is not full-screen 1024x768.  It's smaller than
that (I don't know exactly what the size is) but as a result, the "Go" icon
(which looks sort of like a fax machine spitting out a fax, by the way) is
always hidden (accessable by the > arrow).

Another issue: the icon, which is supposed to be an "Enter" button is not
intuitive.  I think the words, "GO" would be easier to understand though this
is subject to problems as well due to internationalization.

Icon Suggestions:
-Just a word: "Go"
-Checkmark
-A Konqueror-style globe...?

Third issue.  If you type the URL, you simply won't hit "Go".  You press
enter.

Fourth issue.  If you access URLs by Cut and Paste or by selecting from the
Location Bar History, then you probably WILL use "Go".

(That was pretty boring, and potentially unnecessary... typing stuff into the
"Location bar" seens to be pretty standard fare.)

~~

On to something more interesting...

Accessing web pages through Konqueor's stored URL's

Places where URL's are stored by Konqueror:

-Bookmarks (user-saved web pages)
-Back (list of recently-accessed)
-Up (through directory tree)
-Forward (list of recently-accessed)
-Most-often visited list

(There are a bunch of pre-saved folders accessible under Konqueror's 'Go'
menu, such as Applications, Autostart, and so forth.  These are 'file
manager' functions, not web browser functions.  And yes, they are a source of
potential confusion.)

--

TASK TO ANALYSE:

Bookmark Management
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bookmarks are a big deal in ANY web browser.

I would wager a guess that after reading pages, using the "Location" bar, and
accessing recently-accessed pages, a beginning-to-intermediate user would
spend most of their time accessing and managing their Bookmarks.

WHY DO USERS USE BOOKMARKS?

    The reason that bookmarks are used is because it is a convenient way to
save all the pages that you think you may need to access again.  It is
basically the "User's List of Pages".  An experienced user uses bookmarks
much more than a new user.

    Out of every browser, the thing that will differ the most are the
bookmarks that one has.  By reviewing one's bookmarks, one gathers a wealth
of information about a user's surfing habits.  (Aside: this kind of
information is what advertisers would pay big to get their hands on.)

HOW DO USERS USE BOOKMARKS? (Summary)

    Users use bookmarks to store web pages that they may want to access in
the future.  By default, bookmarks are one large list, with folders
subdividing some of the bookmarks: this is essentially a directory tree.

    Users primarily do two things with their bookmarks: they add pages to
their bookmarks, and they access existing pages from the list.  These two
primary tasks will be analysed in the task analysis.

    Users usually organize their bookmarks when the list is exceedingly long.
 This is because annoying usability problems tend to occur when your
bookmarks are long.  Your menu appears in unexpected places, scrolling bars
are required, and so forth.

~~

TASK ANALYSIS:

--------------------

TASK: Adding A Web Page to Bookmarks List

Goal: To save a web page for later access.
Preconditions: The web page must be current displayed in the browser.

General Mental Models:

All users: "I want to save this web page location to look up later."

Some more experienced users: "I want to save this web page location in a
Bookmarks Folder <name> to look up later.  I am organizing my information for
easier access."

--------------------

How (using current model):

Method 1: Context menu

ACTIONS:

1. User brings up context menu (right click by default)
2. User selects item "Add To Bookmarks"

EXPECTED RESULT:

-The web page appears in Bookmarks list, with the page's title as the entry.
(NOTE: this is not necessarily THE TRUE expected result of all users.
However, it is a reasonable guess to make that users would expect to see
this.)

SIDE-EFFECTS:

None

PROBLEMS:

-User does not know that "Add To Bookmarks" adds the current page, and
doesn't allow you to specify which page.
-User doesn't know where the page is added to.
-User doesn't know what the added page is labelled as

SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS:

-The problems mainly result from what you would expect the results to be.
After a small amount of experimentation, the expected results should be
rather clear and the Problems will go away.

COMMENTS:

-No real problems are forseeable.

--------------------

Method 2: Bookmarks menu

ACTIONS:

1. User brings up bookmarks menu
2. User selects "Add Bookmark"

EXPECTED RESULT:

-The web page appears in Bookmarks list, with the page's title as the entry.
(NOTE: this is not necessarily THE TRUE expected result of all users.
However, it is a reasonable guess to make that users would expect to see
this.)

SIDE-EFFECTS:

None

PROBLEMS:

-User does not know that "Add Bookmark" adds the currently-loaded page, and
doesn't allow you to specify which page.
-User doesn't know where the page is added to.
-User doesn't know what the added page is labelled as

SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS:

-The problems mainly result from what you would expect the results to be.
After a small amount of experimentation, the expected results should be
rather clear and the Problems will go away.

-However, Problem 1 becomes a little more relevant in this situation because
it doesn't specify WHAT you are adding to the bookmarks.  It should probably
be "Add Current Page To Bookmarks".  But that's too long.

COMMENTS:

-No real problems are forseeable.  Again, adding a page to the main list is
really not the primary problem.

--------------------

TASK: Adding bookmarks to a specific folder

GOAL: To save a bookmark for later access.  This is saved inside a named
folder for the purposes of "organization" on behalf of the user.

Notes:

There are two ways to do this currently.

1) Add the page through the "Bookmarks" menu.
2) Add the page manually through "Edit Bookmarks".

We will not look at 2) in this section of the Task Analysis, as it is more
related to "editing" than simply adding.

-----

Method 1:

TASK: Add web page to bookmarks under a specific folder

MENTAL MODEL:

"I want to add this page to a folder to keep my bookmarks organised."

PRECONDITIONS:

-Web page to add is currently loaded
-Folder to add to exists

ACTIONS (current model):

1. Go to "Bookmarks" folder
2. Go to folder that you want to add to.
3. Select "Add Bookmark"

EXPECTED RESULTS:

-The web page is added beneath the specified folder with the name as the Title

SIDE-EFFECTS:

-None known

UI MALFUNCTIONS:

1-Conceptual problem.
  User would not think you would select the folder, THEN add the bookmark.
This is an almost backwards way of thinking (in English, anyway, but also for
many other languages including French and Chinese).  In English, you would
think "I want to add the page to this folder."  Therefore, your actions tend
to follow, "Find this page, add, specify folder".  *DO USABILITY REVIEW*

2-Interrelationship problem.
  The user can add a bookmark using the context menu.  However, the user can
not add to a folder using the context menu.

MALFUNCTION SOLUTIONS:

1-Conceptual problem

There are two methods.  Change the user's conceptual model, or change the
method of adding to the bookmarks.

Is this really a conceptual problem?

Assuming that it is, alternatives may be:

Alternative 1) Bring up a separate dialog box when you select "Add Bookmark"
or "Add Bookmark to Folder".  I.E. 5 and Netscape 6 do this.  Netscape 4 did
not.  Side-effect: extra clicks required: extra dialog needs to be designed.

Alternative 2) A menu option (such as "Add Bookmark to Folder") can bring
down a replica of the Bookmarks folder tree.  Selecting a folder would place
the bookmark in that folder.  This is the way Netscape 4 did it.  Possible
malfunction: how to specify multiple-level folders.

Alternative 3) Drag and drop.  This is possible (and easy) if we have an open
sidebar for Konqueror that displays the bookmarks.  Possible malfunction:
what to drag.  (The icon in location bar is probably the best bet, since you
can already drag and drop it to the Desktop for example).

*I think that this should really be put up as a survey or a questionnaire for
users to vote on.  This is a very open-ended issue that needs better analysis
to back up a solution.

-----

TASK: Editing Bookmarks
SUBTASKS:
	Add new bookmark manually
	Delete bookmark
	Move bookmark to a new folder
	Move bookmark to different position in same folder

GOAL:
      -This is two-fold.

1. To better organise the current bookmarks.
2. To avoid funny UI problems that occur when your Bookmarks list is too long.

Either way, editing bookmarks involves moving them into folders and deleting
them.  It doesn't seem that the Goal will influence how the task is performed.

--

SUBTASK 1: Add new bookmark manually

ACTIONS:

1. Go to "Bookmarks" menu
2. Access "Create New Bookmark" from one of:
   a. File menu
   b. Context menu
   c. Toolbar

(You get a blank Bookmark Entry with the "Folder Icon".)

3a. Click on the blank spot where the name is supposed to go.  Type the name.
4a. Click on the blank spot where the URL is supposed to go.  Type the URL.

OR:

3b. Use Context Menu/Edit menu: Rename.  Type the name.
4b. Use Context Menu/Edit menu: Change URL.  Type the URL.

MALFUNCTIONS:

-Adding a new bookmark and seeing only a blank space is somewhat
disconcerting in terms of feedback.  However, because adding a bookmark in
this way is not often done, it is not a very large issue.  (The menus make it
clear and accessible even if the user doesn't think of clicking).

Solution: No actions proposed

-More problematic: the default icon is a folder.  When you specify "Add
Bookmark" as a menu item, you're likely not thinking of adding a folder, but
instead, a web page.

Solution: This should default to the Web Page icon instead of the Folder icon.

COMMENTS:

This is not a very often-used feature and therefore does not need much
modification.  Most of the time someone will add bookmarks from the main
Konqueror window, not from the Edit Bookmarks window.

--

SUBTASK 2: Deleting a bookmark

(This is also very simple: skip for now)

--

SUBTASK 3: Moving bookmark to different folders

(This is more complex!  Feedback is poor.  It often gets mixed up with Moving
bookmark to different position in the same folder.)

--

SUBTASK 4: Moving bookmark to different position in the same folder

(More complex as well)

--

(A note:

When you click on "Bookmarks", if the list can not fit on the rest of the
screen, the list does not start underneath the "Bookmarks" menu and instead
appears from the top of the screen.  Your mouse button then tends to fall
over some entry in your bookmarks folder.  This is remarkably annoying, and
is even worse when you are used to holding the button down when browsing the
menus.

An alternative would be to always have the bookmarks menu "separate" into two
parts, similar to how the Windows Start Menu separates into two parts if it
is too large for the screen (and the option is turned on).  THIS IS SUBJECT
TO USABILITY REVIEW.  Because bookmarks menus are on average MUCH larger than
any menu, special behaviour may be required.

Something to test: when your bookmarks menu is so long that it stretches off
of the screen.)

--
-- Arcana