List:       kde-usability
Subject:    ToDo List
From:       Jim Conner <jconner83 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-14 19:51:45

Please note that the following is just my opinion and can be modified,
discussed or rejected.  Nothing is written in stone.  I encourage everyone to
voice their own opinions on this subject.
This will be a list of things that need to be done and a call for volunteers
to do various tasks.  If you have a question about the duties,
responsibilities, and requirements of any task, please ask.

Usability reports on all major aspects of KDE and KOffice need to be written.
 You can read through the existing reports to get a feel for how they are
written.  You can go through the application with a fresh view and see what
needs to be done, you can enlist the opinions of a new user, or pull comments
from this list and others concerning the usability of the program.  Currently
the reports are in html format, but Jono is working on creating a database
with a web interface that will make it much easier to enter and maintain
these reports.  If you have any questions and/or problems with the current
html format, please feel free to ask for help.  Since I'm the Kicker
maintainer, those that wish to write a report on Kicker, but don't know html,
can submit a text report to me in the same format as the html format and I
will htmlize their report and submit it.

Here's a list of applications that will either need maintainers and/or
writers.  I'll list the names of current maintainers and writers.  If you are
interested in volunteering for maintainer or writer, please add your name to
the list and reply back to the mailing list.  Each project will need at least
one maintainer, but for large projects there can be two or more.  Each
project can and should have more than one writer.  This will present a
different point of view that is important in any usability evaluation.  These
are in no certain order and don't include all KDE applications included with
KDE's release.

1.  Startup
	Maintainer:
	Writers: JP Schnapper-Casteras

2.  Kicker/KMenu
	Maintainer:  Jim Conner
	Writers: JP Schnapper-Casteras

3.  Control Center
	Maintainer:  Helen McManus
	Writers:  JP Schnapper-Casteras

4.  Desktop
	Maintainer:
	Writers:  JP Schnapper-Casteras

5.  Konqueror Web Browser
	Maintainer:  Pandurang Rao
	Writers:

6.  Konqueror File Manager
	Maintainer:  Pandurang Rao
	Writers:

7.  KMail
	Maintainer:
	Writers:

8.  KNode
	Maintainer:
	Writers:

9.  KHelpCenter
	Maintainer:
	Writers:

10. KPackage
	Maintainer: Helen McManus
	Writers:

11. KArchiver
	Maintainer:
	Writers:

12. KPilot
	Maintainer: Adriaan de Groot
	Writers:

13. KDE Menu Editor
	Maintainer:
	Writers:

14. KOffice (this will expand to include other new apps that are part of
     KOffice 1.1)
	Maintainer:
	Maintainer:

	KOffice Workspace
		Writers:

	KWord
		Writers:

	KSpread
		Writers:

	KPresenter
		Writers:

	KIllustrator(can't remember new name)
		Writers:

	KChart
		Writers:

	Kivio
		Writers:

15. KDE Multimedia Player(noatun)
	Maintainer:
	Writers:

16. KDE CD Player
	Maintainer:
	Writers:

17. Klicq, Kit, Ksirc, KPPP #These could be broken down into separate
     projects.
	Maintainer:
	Maintainer:
	Writers:

18. KPaint and replacement for Pixie(can't remember name)
	Maintainer:
	Writers:

19. KFax & KFaxviewer
	Maintainer:
	Writer:

20. Konsole
	Maintainer: Stephen A Jarrett-Sprague
	Writers:  Stephen A Jarrett-Sprague

21. KWrite and KEdit
	Maintainer:
	Writers:

22. KOrganizer
	Maintainer:
	Writers:  Stephen A Jarrett-Sprague

23. Quanta
	Maintainer: Lee Jordan
	Writers:  Lee Jordan

If I have left out an existing project, please add it to the end of the list.
 Please feel free to volunteer for as many of these that you want.  Please
feel free to add a project that you feel that needs a usability report.
Please feel free to comment on any of the above projects.

The next big project that needs to have volunteers is the 'New User Usability
Test'.  This will have profiling questions for the prospective new user, a
list of tasks for them to perform, a guideline for the person administering
the test, and a web site to correlate the ongoing reports and results.  To
get a feel of what we want to accomplish here take a look at Sun's Gnome
Usability Report.

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/ut1_report/report_main.html

Since we don't have access to a central lab to do the testing, after all the
ground work is done, hopefully everyone here will administer this test to at
least one person and submit a report.  I've broken this down into 4 main
tasks that will have one coordinator(for lack of a better term) and as many
volunteers as necessary for each task.

Profiling Questions
	Coordinator:
	Volunteers:

Tasks to Perform
	Coordinator:
	Volunteers:

Guidelines for Test Administrators
	Coordinator:
	Volunteers:

Website for reports and results
	Coordinator:
	Volunteers:

All 4 of the coordinators will have to work together and communicate with
each other in order for this project to have the best credibility.

Jonathan Bacon(aka Jono) is currently working on another project to have the
KDE Usability Reports to be in a database format with a web interface.  I'm
not sure if he is using perl, php, mysql, postgres or what, but those with
that experience that want to volunteer to help him, please contact him about
this project.

As I said before, this post is just my opinion and nothing is written in
stone.  Please feel free to comment.  Constructive criticism is welcome.
Please feel free to volunteer for any number of these projects.  If you have
questions about any of this, please ask.

Jim