List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: PIC of Kstart instead , was Re: Usability tests should not focus on icons
From:       Sheldon Lee Wen <tormak () home ! com>
Date:       2001-07-26 17:27:42

> I think calling it Start would automatically make people think you guys are
> ripping off Windows, especially since a lot of people don't think Start is
> such a good idea in Windows alone.

Yup some people will say that. This is just an idea remember, more to see if
the button would be more obvious if it was wider. (I just needed something to
put in the empty space :) ). If we can think of something else to put beside
it instead of "start" then let me know and I'll try that too. Did anyone
think that it being wider made it more obvious and easy to determine what
it's meaning might be? (w or w/o the start).

> Is there really anything all that wrong
> with keeping the gear? There are some things where a new computer
> user will just have to learn how to use the system. Macs have the Apple
> and that's not that obvious, but people learn to use it.

But can we afford to have that attitude. We can say that about everything in
KDE or gnome for that matter, so what is the purpose of having people look at
usability issues? People who have no prior knowledge of linux or kde (or what
kde is.. they might think they are using the KDE operating system, not linux)
will be using KDE some day (in the not too distant future I hope), and I
don't think that this is an acceptable stance to take for these people. It
the bar of entry for them is low, they will start to learn quickly, with a
good attitude about it; that's good for kde and linux both. If it is
frustrating for them to just find out where to start programs (and other
trivial tasks) the bar will be higher, and users will be frustrated and less
inclined to use KDE, or be happy about using it. Do we really want a bunch of
people posting stuff like KDE sucks, it's too hard, it took me 3 hours to
figure out how to start program x or write and email? Not to shound harsh but
I think we are going to have to make some compromises in order to achieve our
goals here. If that means borrowing from windows/mac/be/os2/?? then so be it,
I think it's an acceptable trade off.

> The positioning of
> the K menu and the arrow next to it are good. Maybe the problem is
> that the K menu blends in with the other icons? Maybe it should be on
> a different applet or have some sort of seperator?

This could be part of it. However, I still think the suggestion to make it
wider is a very good one and has merit.

Sheldon.
"... all thoughts of selfish desire, ill-will, hatred and
 violence are the result of a lack of wisdom ... "
 - Buddha

For an awsome fantasy role playing game checkout:
http://lycadican.sourceforge.net