List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] KMix UI orientation
From:       Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar () autistici ! org>
Date:       2012-05-21 8:39:53

On 19.05.2012 12:23, Hans Chen wrote:
> I prefer the vertical layout and would like to give some arguments for it=
, since
> I didn't see anyone mentioning them:
>
> - In the horizontal layout, the mute button is on the right side of the s=
lider.
> This is a bit counter-intuitive since the slider goes to the left when mu=
ted. Of
> course the placement of the application icon and mute icon can be swapped=
, but
> this is again a bit strange - the application icon is what identifies each
> slider and is also connected to the text.
>
> - I'm not a usability expert, but if I remember correctly, it's easier to=
 move
> the mouse cursor up and down than horizontal, especially on touchpads. Th=
is is
> also why I don't support knobs, doing a circular motion is even harder.

+1. Although I agree with Bj=F6rn that a knob is understood easily because =
users =

recognize it from its analog counterpart, I have seen the knob in Amarok an=
d =

though it looks nice there and saves space (these where the two main main =

reasons why it was introduced there iirc), I have found that it's rather =

difficult to interact with. Circular motions work okay with touchscreens, b=
ut =

not well with a mouse (anybody who ever tried painting a freehand circle wi=
th a =

mouse has had that experience).
Plus a know would not solve the narrow label problem.

> - I also agree that scrolling up and down is more intuitive in a vertical
> layout, as mentioned by others.
>
> With that said, the current tray popup using the vertical layout could
> definitely be improved. I expected it to look more like the mixer window,=
 i.e.,
> vertical layouts in a horizontal layout, if you get what I mean. Regardin=
g the
> text label, would it be possible to only show e.g. the application name (=
Amarok
> in this case) and the rest of the text in a tooltip?

+1. I really wondered why the two vertical sliders where stacked vertically=
 in =

the popup instead of horizontally. Is that due to a technical limitation? I =

would never want vertically stacked sliders, because they are - frankly - r=
eally =

ugly. But horizontally stacked sliders (i.e. the layout in the kmix window =
when =

set to vertical) are not ugly (except for the many line breaks in long labe=
ls).
@Trever: If this cannot be done for the popup, could you please explain why?