List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Display Management Design
From:       Lukas <1lukas1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-08-01 14:02:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2011/8/1 Aurélien Gâteau <agateau@kde.org>

> Le 30/07/2011 15:59, Alex Fiestas a écrit :
> > On 07/27/2011 12:16 AM, Lukas wrote:
> >>
> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1A7bdmsLBE_oeRZPHxZNMBVAxMQZCkQIclWOrd2mRLGs/edit?hl=en_US
> >>
> >> Done. Just try to play around with it, if you what.  Quick version with
> >> activities integration :)
> >
> > Now that I think about it... I fail to see what Activity integration can
> > bring to the table, the configuration is mainly related to the
> > monitor(s) you have connected, so once we detect the monitors we can
> > apply the saved configuration.
>
> I agree. I would go even further and add I don't think we need profiles.
> Assuming displays return some kind of unique ID, it would be smarter IMO
> to remember configuration by display combinations:
>
> Let's say my laptop monitor id is A, I have an external monitor B on my
> desktop, but I also do presentations with projector C.
>
> First time I plug B, I configure it to work nice with A. kcm remembers
> this A+B conf.
>
> Later, I need to do a presentation. One hour before the presentation
> starts, I plug my laptop to projector C and configure this combination
> suitably for a presentation, say with cloned displays. I unplug from C.
>
> Time to give my presentation, I plug my laptop to C. kcm matches this
> A+C combination with the one I previously configured and restores the
> previous configuration => it just works.
>
> I am back to my desktop, I plug my laptop to my external monitor B.
> Again, kcm matches this A+B combination with a known one and set things
> up as they used to be.
>
> Extra bonus: two weeks later I give another presentation using C, I plug
> my laptop and I get the exact same configuration as the one I setup
> during my first presentation.

I'm not sure if such scenario fits average use case. How often do you have
luxury to have access to monitor an hour before. In business meetings its
quite rare situation.

Also how about university teachers? Each room has its own projector,  does
it mean that person should have to reconfigure display on each room. What if
he is a damn good teacher and works in many universities where gives 2-3
presentations/lessons daily?

So in reality tying to specific display ID might not be the best idea...

On the other hand, remembering what profile was used with exact display is a
great idea (on next uses it just auto switches to preferred profile) :)

Cheers,
Lukas