List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Display Management Design
From:       Aurélien_Gâteau <agateau () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-08-01 13:53:02

Le 30/07/2011 15:59, Alex Fiestas a écrit :
> On 07/27/2011 12:16 AM, Lukas wrote:
>> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1A7bdmsLBE_oeRZPHxZNMBVAxMQZCkQIclWOrd2mRLGs/edit?hl=en_US
>>
>> Done. Just try to play around with it, if you what.  Quick version with
>> activities integration :)
>
> Now that I think about it... I fail to see what Activity integration can
> bring to the table, the configuration is mainly related to the
> monitor(s) you have connected, so once we detect the monitors we can
> apply the saved configuration.

I agree. I would go even further and add I don't think we need profiles.
Assuming displays return some kind of unique ID, it would be smarter IMO
to remember configuration by display combinations:

Let's say my laptop monitor id is A, I have an external monitor B on my
desktop, but I also do presentations with projector C.

First time I plug B, I configure it to work nice with A. kcm remembers
this A+B conf.

Later, I need to do a presentation. One hour before the presentation
starts, I plug my laptop to projector C and configure this combination
suitably for a presentation, say with cloned displays. I unplug from C.

Time to give my presentation, I plug my laptop to C. kcm matches this
A+C combination with the one I previously configured and restores the
previous configuration => it just works.

I am back to my desktop, I plug my laptop to my external monitor B.
Again, kcm matches this A+B combination with a known one and set things
up as they used to be.

Extra bonus: two weeks later I give another presentation using C, I plug
my laptop and I get the exact same configuration as the one I setup
during my first presentation.

Aurélien