List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] On the future of the menubar
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-13 15:02:28

On 13 April 2010 17:23, Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just a quick question/suggestion on the menubar topic:
>
> Is there a particular reason no one is suggesting autohide for the menubar?
>
> At least in a desktop workspace with window titlebars I would find it natural
> and convinient if the menubar would not take up vertical space but instead
> roll-out from the titlebar when the mouse is on the window border. In general
> you would move the mouse to slightly above where you expect the menu to be and
> it should appear below as an overlay over the standard content. Also an easy
> short-key could be assigned to showing it, ctrl would make sense, but being
> already used for showing short-cuts in konqueror, Alt or Menu key could also
> be used.
>
> I apologize if the suggestion have already been made and there is a good
> reason it is not brought up.

Microsoft did this with the Internet Explorer 7 menubar. I think that
the hidden menubar was displayed when the user pressed Ctrl. You can
google for people's opinions of that implementation!

I think that the remaining suggestions put forth in this thread were:
* Implement a Close or Quit button on the toolbar
* Collapse menu bar into an icon on the toolbar
* Add a menubar and let the user disable it as will. This is currently
how other KDE applications handle the situation.

Did I miss anything?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com