List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] On the future of the menubar
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde () carewolf ! com>
Date:       2010-04-13 14:23:04

Hi

Just a quick question/suggestion on the menubar topic:

Is there a particular reason no one is suggesting autohide for the menubar?

At least in a desktop workspace with window titlebars I would find it natural
and convinient if the menubar would not take up vertical space but instead
roll-out from the titlebar when the mouse is on the window border. In general
you would move the mouse to slightly above where you expect the menu to be and
it should appear below as an overlay over the standard content. Also an easy
short-key could be assigned to showing it, ctrl would make sense, but being
already used for showing short-cuts in konqueror, Alt or Menu key could also
be used.

I apologize if the suggestion have already been made and there is a good
reason it is not brought up.

`Allan