List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Markus <kamikazow () web ! de>
Date:       2010-04-12 1:03:17

Am Sonntag 11 April 2010 09:40:53 schrieb Peter:

> A modern system therefore will merely notify the user that the stick was
> 'cleanly removed', or not, as the case may be. Dirty sticks may be cleaned
> by simply reinserting them in the proper computer. Sticks may be
> automatically mounted at designated places, so users need never do that
> either (although they can).
>
> This, imho, is a flaw in current operating system design, not a usability
> issue.

Well, actually this is AFAIK a flaw in file system design. IIRC when (classic)
iPods still used HFS+ (the Mac file system), users could pull the plug at any
time during sync. When the plug was reinserted, syncing continued. Then Apple
targeted Windows users and switched all iPods to FAT32 and that benefit
vanished for all users, including Mac users.

I think, if there was a feasible way to achieve the old experience with FAT32,
Apple would've modified Mac OS to get this feature -- if only to have
additional argument why Mac OS is better than Windows...