List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Zachary Klein <zak () silver-chalice ! com>
Date:       2010-04-06 15:16:27

On Tuesday 06 April 2010 04:25:25 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Attached is a quick mockup of what the dialogue could look like with
> the Eject text. On the left is the current Device Manager, on the
> right is the mockup. It can be seen that this mockup can easy handle
> long text with no clutter, and it will eliminate the need for the
> context menu.
>
> Actually, in my own personal opinion this design in the mockup looks
> less cluttered than in the original as the free-space indicator takes
> the entire width (nice, clean line) and the Eject button and text are
> vertically-equal with the device name/description text.
>
> What do the list members think?

That looks slick. Nice work Dotan.

I noticed that _no one_ has yet addressed the issue of why we already have
a context menu on the device listings, with three entries, only one (Hide
Device) even pertaining to the device management (the others are "unlock
Widgets"(?) and something I can't recall -don't have an y devices with me
atm!). I understand the concept of wanting to limit context menus (though I
wonder at the wisdom of witholding features from desktop users because
hypothetical touchscreen KDE/Plasma users don't have a right-click... like
Dotan said, they don't have "hover" either, and Plasma uses hover liberally).
However, if the *context* menu is there  already, what exactly is the issue of
adding a *contextual* entry?

Zachary Klein