List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-05 23:02:17

>> Where did you see me say that "if you don't agree with me, you have no
>> clue"?
>
> That's the tone you constantly use.

Please state an example. My intention is to learn to use a tone you
like. Please show me where you interpreted my words as "if you don't
agree with me, you have no clue" so that I might revise my phrasing.

>> Here, the Eject button is labeled "Eject". In my opinion, that is a
>> solution which would solve this issue. Are you in favour?
>
> No.
> The current Eject icon is only visible in mouse over. Making it always visible
> would solve the problem.

I agree that making it always visible would help. However, not
everyone associates that icon with the remove/eject functionality.
Maybe they never owned a VCR. My CD player nor the DVD drive on my
desktop use that icon.

> Adding the word "Eject" would just create problems with localization. Not in
> all languages that word is just a few letters long (eg. in German it's
> "Auswerfen").
> That would just result in a cramped interface which in turn is another
> usability problem.

For one, I disagree that a long word would be cramped. Secondly, I
would argue that the issue of a cramped interface is less critical
than the issue of users not being able to locate the feature.

>> Is there a context menu?
>
> No. It's not needed, because the Eject icon is visible all the time

It would be visible but the users still don't know what it does. Label it.

>> I know that the Mac has only a single mouse
>> button
> No, it doesn't.

Sorry, the Mac used to have only one mouse button. I have not used any
recent Macs. What is the purpose of the second mouse button on the
newer Macs?

>> > iTunes for Mac and Windows:
>> > http://reviews.cnet.com/i/bto/20090910/HT1853_Eject_iPod_610x428.png
>>
>> Again, is there also a context menu?
>
> No. It's not needed, because the Eject icon is visible all the time

Again, it must be labeled.

>> I have no problem with adding an eject button to Dolphin. In fact, as
>> you mention the limitations of touch devices, I would argue that the
>> eject button _should_ be added. However, that does not address the
>> current issue of the Device Manager not being intuitive.
>
> Yes, it does.

How does changing Dolphin make DM any more intuitive? If you wish to
argue that it would make users familiar with the icon, then know that
I have at least one user who does not use a file manager at all.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.