List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Markus <kamikazow () web ! de>
Date:       2010-04-05 22:58:04

Am Dienstag 06 April 2010 00:23:03 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> The Eject icon already exists there.

But only visible on mouse hover. It should be visible all the time -- maybe
faded when not hovered, but still visible all the time. In Device Notifier and
Dolphin.

> But if the word "Eject" were
> added (as is the case in another OS as per a screenshot posted by
> another commenter) then the Eject icon would be much improved as well.

By "other OS" you mean Vista which is hardly know for its great usability.

> Many people (100% of those I polled, 14 out of 14) did not know what
> that icon was for.

Then you should move to a country where people have electronic devices.
Every DVD player remove, software DVD/CD player, iTunes, etc. uses that icon.

> I personally like it too. I hardly ever use the mouse and don't think
> that it needs so many clicks, double clicks, right and middle clicks,
> then click and drops. But the everyday mousemaid expects context menus
> with relevant actions. This is clearly such a case.

No, this is just a case where the Eject button is not obvious enough because
it's not visible all the time.