List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-05 22:23:03

>> The menu already exists. Go connect a USB drive then open the Device
>> Manager. Now right-click on the device. See that option "Hide Device"
>> (translated)? Just above it there should be (as per my suggestion)
>> another option "Safely Remove".
>
> Hmmm, I never right-clicked the device, but it would be a possible to
> add an option there. The right mouseclick menu is barely needed - I'm
> surprised it exists. Adding an option there which is just below
> available - possible, but add the icon too I would say? so ppl learn
> to just click the eject button...

The Eject icon already exists there. But if the word "Eject" were
added (as is the case in another OS as per a screenshot posted by
another commenter) then the Eject icon would be much improved as well.
Many people (100% of those I polled, 14 out of 14) did not know what
that icon was for.

> Another posibility is to add eject to the list of things to do with an device?

I suggested that in the OP and agree that it would help.

> I dunno. To me it feels plasma is discouraging the whole usage of
> right-click - I find I never do it anymore these days, as opposed to
> when using the old kicker. I like this direction and would rather not
> break it...

I personally like it too. I hardly ever use the mouse and don't think
that it needs so many clicks, double clicks, right and middle clicks,
then click and drops. But the everyday mousemaid expects context menus
with relevant actions. This is clearly such a case.

> 95% of ppl I know, and admittedly I didn't ask everyone I know, only a few ;-)

Go catch one and after showing him that he can access his media from
the Device Manager, ask him to use the "Safely Remove" feature. Tell
me, did he click the Eject button? Did he right-click the item? What
else?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com