List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-05 14:30:34

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 April 2010 15:15, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Where exactly would you add it? to the right-click menu on the
>> plasmoid itself?
>
> To the right-click menu (the context menu) of the item in question.
> Exactly where the Hide Media option currently is.

Ok.

<snip>

>> Adding a right-click menu over the plasmoid in the systray makes it
>> different from all other plasmoids and the whole design of plasma -
>> very inconsistent.
>
> The menu already exists. Go connect a USB drive then open the Device
> Manager. Now right-click on the device. See that option "Hide Device"
> (translated)? Just above it there should be (as per my suggestion)
> another option "Safely Remove".

Hmmm, I never right-clicked the device, but it would be a possible to
add an option there. The right mouseclick menu is barely needed - I'm
surprised it exists. Adding an option there which is just below
available - possible, but add the icon too I would say? so ppl learn
to just click the eject button...

Another posibility is to add eject to the list of things to do with an device?

>> The ONLY reason I see for doing that is because MS
>> has this silly icon which appears when you put in an USB stick and
>> then you have to use right-mouse-click to remove devices.
>
> I could make the same argument that the only reason for having the ▲
> icon is because Apple has it. However, there is a reason that the
> context menu exists: a context menu offers a limited set of common
> choices and options that are available in the current context of the
> application. "Safely Remove" is exactly the first thing that should be
> there, and certainly not options that currently exist such as "Device
> Manager Settings" and "Unlock Widgets". Those two should only be in
> the context menu of the Device Manager icon itself.

I dunno. To me it feels plasma is discouraging the whole usage of
right-click - I find I never do it anymore these days, as opposed to
when using the old kicker. I like this direction and would rather not
break it...

>> It is so
>> obscure 95% of the ppl I know don't even know it exists and have no
>> idea how to use it - they just wait a while after using a stick and
>> then remove it without any disconnect actions. They DO know about the
>> eject button in iTunes, luckily, and use it.
>>

> Where did you get the 95% figure from, and how are you so sure about
> the iTunes usage? In the admittedly limited query that I performed, no
> one knew to use the Icon. And every single one of them (at least, so
> far as I remember every single one of them) tried the context menu.

95% of ppl I know, and admittedly I didn't ask everyone I know, only a few ;-)