List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Brian Shannon <teapot.philosopher () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-04 20:11:39

> I'm not saying that using the Eject symbol is bad, and once I learned
> to use it I have no problem with it. However, 0/14 everyday KDE users
> were able to "safely remove" their media, I think that says a lot
> about the lack of intuitivity. Furthermore, every single one of them
> checked the context menu (I think every single one of them, maybe one
> or two didn't) for the "Safely Remove" option. So we already know
> where users are looking. Why not put it back there for them?

Indeed. I believe there was a usability study done on Dolphin. In it
they concluded that users weren't understanding that the nature of the
sidebar was bookmarks and not actually the folders/devices themselves.
Gnome do use the sidebar to handle at least the devices. They have an
eject button and safely remove in the context menu that my brother,
mother and I grasped quickly (my brother and mother being of the
non-geek variety ;).

However, Gnome does use an eject button beside the entries and it
seems to work rather well.

I'll try and find the study...

> In other words, what are the arguments against adding "Safely Remove"
> to the context menu?

It would require a change of direction for the sidebar but I do
personally believe it would be more intuitive.

However, I feel the need to point out to you that this is still
fundamentally the developer's decision, not ours if he accepts advice
from us at all.