List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-04 19:56:55

> I'm really surprised by this, as the eject symbol shown on the notifier is the
> same one used on video players, so should be familiar.

On a video player the hardware button near the loading bay removes the
medium. Non-geeks don't notice what is painted on it. Furthermore, the
folly of assuming that software parodies of hardware conventions are
intuitive have been made time and again, often leading to unintuitive
software.

I'm not saying that using the Eject symbol is bad, and once I learned
to use it I have no problem with it. However, 0/14 everyday KDE users
were able to "safely remove" their media, I think that says a lot
about the lack of intuitivity. Furthermore, every single one of them
checked the context menu (I think every single one of them, maybe one
or two didn't) for the "Safely Remove" option. So we already know
where users are looking. Why not put it back there for them?

In other words, what are the arguments against adding "Safely Remove"
to the context menu?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com