List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Users cannot find where to "safely remove" USB
From:       Shaun Reich <predator106 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-04 16:44:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Markus <kamikazow@web.de> wrote:

> I think that if Dolphin also had that Eject icon next to the device entry
> in
> the Places panel, people would have an easier time recognizing the same
> icon
> in the Device Notifier.

Precisely my thoughts. I've been meaning to do that for a while now but have
not yet had the time (still on my todo list..). That is quite likely the
best approach.

Adding a context menu in the device notifier is not a very wise idea, in my
opinion. It would lead to a very strange experience...not to mention what I
would presume to be a non-obvious "solution".

Adding an extra item merely to eject the device is also a very bad approach.
We should try to avoid as much as possible, adding additional and
unnecessary items to this view, as it's free space is confined enough.

I think at all costs, we should try to avoid doing any of the 2
aforementioned options...hopefully the eject button being added to the
places view can help clear up some confusion.

--
Shaun Reich,
KDE Developer (www.kde.org)