List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] On the future of the menubar
From:       James Tyrer <jrtyrer () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2010-02-26 20:43:36

Ben Cooksley wrote:
<SNIP>
> Replacing the toolbar with a menu bar would be terrible... and that
> would still cause a HIG violation since the Search bar would have to
>  be put into the menu, which would also make it extremely
> inconsistent for the Mac platform, since the menu bar would have to
> be shown on the app itself.

IIRC, this type of argument is called a "Straw Man".

Please look at the gnome-control-center.  The Filter "bar" isn't either
place.  The Filter window should not be in the MenuBar.  What I said was
that if vertical space was that important that you could consider having
both the MenuBar and a ToolBar on the same line.

Having the Filter window in the ToolBar is problematic since it means
that the ToolBar does not work well with a vertical orientation.  This
could be addressed by having a separate ToolBar for the Filter window.

Clearly, where to place the Filter window is an issue.  With the
Classical Tree View, this doesn't have to be a problem since it could be
at the top of the sidebar.

>>> This is completely non-standard with other platforms, and will
>>> likely introduce more issues....
>>>
>> That sounds a whole lot like: "Windows doesn't do it this way, so
>> neither should we". I do agree that consistency with other
>> platforms should be a consideration, but it should not prevent KDE
>> from improving. How many other platforms have desktops in which the
>>  user cannot put icons of his files and most-used applications?
>
> It isn't. I am not aware of any platform ( GNOME, Mac or Windows )
> which does this in its control center application....

I note that GNOME doesn't really have an application.  The GNOME Control
Center is really just a dialog box.

> Plasma has supported that for a long time... either as Folderview or
> as general shortcuts....

Please read postings before commenting.  He said _icons_of_..._files_.
Is this feature in TRUNK?  It certainly doesn't work with KDE-4.4.  You
can not simply place a file on the DeskTop, you much create a widget for
it.  This means that you must first "Unlock Widgets" and the widget for
the file is not the same as a file icon.  The file must also exist
somewhere else, it does not have the context menu which a file icon has,
and you can not use the widget to delete or trash the file.  When I
create such a widget, it doesn't even have the correct icon.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch