Ben Cooksley wrote: > Replacing the toolbar with a menu bar would be terrible... and that > would still cause a HIG violation since the Search bar would have to > be put into the menu, which would also make it extremely > inconsistent for the Mac platform, since the menu bar would have to > be shown on the app itself. > IIRC, this type of argument is called a "Straw Man". Please look at the gnome-control-center. The Filter "bar" isn't either place. The Filter window should not be in the MenuBar. What I said was that if vertical space was that important that you could consider having both the MenuBar and a ToolBar on the same line. Having the Filter window in the ToolBar is problematic since it means that the ToolBar does not work well with a vertical orientation. This could be addressed by having a separate ToolBar for the Filter window. Clearly, where to place the Filter window is an issue. With the Classical Tree View, this doesn't have to be a problem since it could be at the top of the sidebar. >>>> The question which I think needs to be considered is whether it >>>> should be permissible for the MenuBar and a ToolBar to appear >>>> on the same line the way the multiple ToolBars are. If this >>>> were allowed, it should resolve the problem since a MenuBar >>>> with only: >>>> >>>> File Go Settings Help >>>> >>>> isn't going to take much space -- less than half of the screen >>>> width. >>>> >>> This is completely non-standard with other platforms, and will >>> likely introduce more issues.... >>> >> That sounds a whole lot like: "Windows doesn't do it this way, so >> neither should we". I do agree that consistency with other >> platforms should be a consideration, but it should not prevent KDE >> from improving. How many other platforms have desktops in which the >> user cannot put icons of his files and most-used applications? > > It isn't. I am not aware of any platform ( GNOME, Mac or Windows ) > which does this in its control center application.... > I note that GNOME doesn't really have an application. The GNOME Control Center is really just a dialog box. > Plasma has supported that for a long time... either as Folderview or > as general shortcuts.... Please read postings before commenting. He said _icons_of_..._files_. Is this feature in TRUNK? It certainly doesn't work with KDE-4.4. You can not simply place a file on the DeskTop, you much create a widget for it. This means that you must first "Unlock Widgets" and the widget for the file is not the same as a file icon. The file must also exist somewhere else, it does not have the context menu which a file icon has, and you can not use the widget to delete or trash the file. When I create such a widget, it doesn't even have the correct icon. -- James Tyrer Linux (mostly) From Scratch _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability