List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Review Request: --hard_coded_colors in kalarm
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-08-14 16:17:28

Peter wrote:
> Since archive and disabled are not represented in the standard
> scheme, there is a strong case for creating your own,

Pardon?

Inactive Text: Second color; for example, comments, items which are old,
inactive *or disabled*.
(Emphasis added)

Visited Text: Fifth color; used for (visited) links. As with LinkText,
may be used for clickable *items that have been clicked, or otherwise
accessed, already*. May also be used *to indicate "historical" (i.e.
"old") items/information*, especially if InactiveText is being used in
the same context to express something different.
(Emphasis added)

We didn't go the route of every possible color being centrally
configurable, but it /is/ the intent that KDE applications should prefer
using a color from the KDE core scheme that is reasonably close to
semantically correct for the usage categories covered... and until
someone presents me with rational evidence to the contrary, I will argue
until I am blue in the face that the above *are* good semantic matches
for KAlarm's archived and disabled. (InactiveText especially, since
David has made it clear in private mail that the semantics he wants for
disabled are the same as the semantics InactiveText is meant to carry.)

I also fail to see how you can argue that an alarm that occurred in the
past does not count as an obvious generalization of 'an item that has
been accessed already'.

I'm really disappointed that I seem to be the only one that cares about
consistent desktop-wide semantics.

--
Matthew
  ,= ,-_-. =.    Freedom to Use