List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Ark: extract and quick extract
From:       Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-17 3:36:41

2009/6/26 Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins@wp.pl>:
> On Thursday 25 June 2009 23:53:10 Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
>
>> Let me try to explain what is going on.
>
> It is really better to attach a screenshot :-) -- one image can tell
> more than longer description.
>
>> From a usability point of view, what's the best option?
>
> With keeping current UI -- providing such actions:
> a) extract here
> b) extract to (no submenu)
>
> ad.b) initial directory should be last used
>
> ad.ab) there is no strong need for keeping several directories
> previously used directly in Ark, because user could pick that
> directory in directory dialog -- and besides such approach is more
> flexible, because user is able to "tweak" such directory
>
> Cheers,

Hi there and sorry for stopping the discussion :)

Currently, specially after

> ad.ab) there is no strong need for keeping several directories
> previously used directly in Ark, because user could pick that
> directory in directory dialog -- and besides such approach is more
> flexible, because user is able to "tweak" such directory

I'm thinking of dropping the quick extraction feature altogether. So
there'd be just a menu item called "Extract..." that opens the
extraction dialog, and a toolbar button that does the same thing.

Does that sound reasonable? Is the quick extraction a feature worth
keeping from a user point of view?