List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Internally described edit-boxes
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2009-07-13 16:18:12

Hi,

  In KDE3 it was obvious:
Search [              ]

  in KDE4 there is some space saved, and we have
[ Search               ]

  Once you click in such editbox, label is gone.

I opt for getting back, to regular look:
a) the description is not clear -- usually italic, shadowed font is
used
b) the description only lasts when there is no focus -- try system
settings, click in search, fine, but now try to get the description
back. Where to click? (*)
c) when some data are entered, you no longer have informative
editboxes but only a bunch of ambiguous edit boxes with some data

  For me it is an example of stretching savings too far -- UI should
be clear, informative, with such kind of label it is no longer the
case.

  What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

(*) actually it is a bit worse, editbox has focus from the start, so
user sees some blank editbox. "Go figure, what it does".