List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: moving keyboard model configuration UI
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2009-07-13 12:06:59

On Friday 10 July 2009 05:26:19 Andriy Rysin wrote:

> 2009/7/8 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
> let me reply in reverse order :)
>
> > Alternatively, how about a link to the current configuration
> > place in Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard? Windows mobile adds links
> > from likely related places in it's configuration screens, and it
> > is a great help.
>
> the problem is currently if you don't enable layout configuration
> you can't set keyboard model either, so simple link would help only
> for people using both

This one can be changed (at least I hope so).

> though conceptually I am not sure why keyboard model (pretty
> hardware thingy) belongs to Regional/Layouts?

Because it is wrong dependency -- the model should go first, then the
layout.

> it's a bit harder to do: if both modules allow to configure (and
> they have different config files)

Why they have different (separate) config files? Those modules should
be the same. In one place it should be actual module, in the other
the link to it.

> but both modules
> also start (and try to set settings) separately

The second instance should be ignored. I.e. when you start the second
instance, the first one is activated (gets focus). That's it.

> That said I was also thinking about "Advanced" tab in keyboard
> layout - it allows to set so called "xkb options", many of them are
> related to switching layouts (so it should be present in layout
> tab), but many of them also don't really belong to layouts or don't
> belong to just them: e.g. Alt/Win key behavior... Others like
> "numeric keypad layout" is kinda "layout" but is not really
> "regional", i.e. even people that use only "us" layout may want to
> configure those...

I would leave, it is related because you use those keys in relation to
regional settings.

Cheers,