List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Brand recognition of FOSS projects
From:       Diego Moya <turingt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-13 0:09:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Recently Aaron Seigo wrote about the need to build a brand identity shared
between Open Source projects for the final user.
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/06/build-brand-together-adendums.html

Reflecting on it, I've created a logo that tries to unify the diversity of
the FOSS ecosystem, and which could be shared by several projects. See:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=106826&vote=good&tan=30405219

The idea for the logo is based on the Beryl-Compiz rotating cube. I've
chosen it because it's a visual landmark of the modern FOSS desktops, it
already has some traction as a popular icon, and it works fine as a
container. This allows to use it as the base to combine this meta-logo with
the logos of the other projects.

I'm not an artist, surely a graphic designer could give it a more polished
finish and clean up the nodes of the svg file. I've published it as Creative
Commons by-sa if someone is interested in using it.

Does it work as a visual reference for Open Source? Do you think  people
would use it in their project if it was promoted by two or three
distributions, as aseigo proposed?