List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Add F11 as full screen shortcut
From:       Peter <gostelow () global ! co ! za>
Date:       2009-06-05 0:43:05

On Thursday 04 June 2009 21:05, Brian Shannon wrote:
> > which is unnecessary because users can change the
> > defaults anyway.
>
> Yes, they can but they shouldn't have to.
>
> > The defaults are there
> > to make an app accessible, not useable.
>
> An application should be as usable as possible out of the box.

The original poster was asking for 'consistency among apps', not addressing
the out of the box issue. Please address the topic.

> Anyway, an action has already been decided upon so this conversation
> is no longer relevant.

The action has neither affected the relevancy of the conversation nor
consistency among apps. What it has done is:

1-  set KDE and its users down a path that misleads users into believing that
changing defaults is not only unnecessary, but also undesirable.

2- It sets up KDE as responsible for consistency among apps, a goal it cannot
achieve because it has no control over app development nor developers.

3- It disempowers users because it makes them dependent on KDE changing the
defaults, not them.

4- It abuses the technology because it attempts to use default shortcuts as
means to create consistency among apps, a problem defaults don't solve.
Defaults solve the problem of keyboard access, not app consistency. User
configuration make apps consistent, not defaults, nor KDE.

> If significant problems arise due to this
> decision we can revisit the topic.

In other words, KDE is not interested in solving the problem, just hiding it
for now. Most delayed problems become more difficult to solve because we
first have to reverse the affects of this, and all future decisions based on
this one, before the proper solution can be applied.

At some point KDE will realize that they have undertaken an impossible task
and will then face the user culture of 'KDE sets _useable_ defaults, we
don't'. The reality is app developers set defaults, not KDE. Users change
defaults to make apps more usable, not KDE.

I'm looking out for everyone's best interests here. It's in app developers'
best interest to define defaults that suit their app, it is in KDE's best
interest to make changing defaults easy and fun, it is in the user's best
interest to change defaults and use their preferred shortcuts, and it is in
everyone's best interest to use the technology as intended.

If an application does not use your preferred shortcut, you should be able to
change it, or file a bug report. To achieve consistency, KDE should make
keyboard configuration possible, apps make it accessible, and you make it
happen.

In short, if you don't like the fullscreen shortcut an app uses, you should be
able to change it. Whether changing the shortcut is handled by the app
itself, or KDE, is unimportant. You, the user, make apps consistent when you
change their defaults to your preferences. And no-one else can decide whether
your preferences are good or bad.

Regards,

Peter