List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Add F11 as full screen shortcut
From:       Aurélien_Gâteau <agateau () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-06-03 13:03:17

Kåre Särs wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 June 2009, Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
>> On Wednesday 03 June 2009 13:17:46 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
>>> It seems the questions being discussed in this thread are:
>>>
>>> 1 what should be the default shortcut, ctrl-shift-F or F11
>>>  (ctrl-shift-F is currently often default so known to KDE users,
>>> F11 is used in Firefox and IE among others and 'easier')
>> Errm, not really -- it is if we should _add_ F11 as a secondary
>> shortcut.
>>
>>> 3 if for two is decided to have F11 or ctrl-shift-F as global
>>> shortcut should there be a difference between those
>> See above.
>>

> One question I have not seen in this tread is (I might have missed it): "Is
> F11 a _standard_ shortcut on any other  platform?"

Good idea.

> A quick test on some Windows applications:
> Applications using F11 for full-screen:
> -Firefox
> -Explorer
> -Notepad++

On the GTK+/GNOME side, you can add:

Using F11:
- Gimp
- Inkscape
- Evince
- Gthumb
- Dia
(a few of them run on Windows and/or Mac OS as well)

Not using F11:
- GQview (F)

Others:
Using F11:
- Arora

Not using F11:
- OO Writer (Ctrl+Shift+J!)
- mplayer (F)

> Applications _not_ using F11 for full-screen
> -Adobe reader
> -Windows Media Player (Alt+Enter)
> -Microsoft Word Viewer
> -Outlook Express (no full-screen mode that I found)
> -3D Pinball for Windows (F4)
> -MS Paint (no full-screen mode that I found)
>
> With this unscientific research, I conclude that F11 is not a standard full-
> screen shortcut on at least Windows.

You should not take into account applications which do not have a
fullscreen mode IMO.

I think F11 is quite common these days.

Aurélien