List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Add F11 as full screen shortcut
From:       Kåre_Särs <kare.sars () iki ! fi>
Date:       2009-06-03 12:32:30

On Wednesday 03 June 2009, Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 June 2009 13:17:46 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > It seems the questions being discussed in this thread are:
> >
> > 1 what should be the default shortcut, ctrl-shift-F or F11
> >  (ctrl-shift-F is currently often default so known to KDE users,
> > F11 is used in Firefox and IE among others and 'easier')
>
> Errm, not really -- it is if we should _add_ F11 as a secondary
> shortcut.
>
> > 3 if for two is decided to have F11 or ctrl-shift-F as global
> > shortcut should there be a difference between those
>
> See above.

One question I have not seen in this tread is (I might have missed it): "Is
F11 a _standard_ shortcut on any other  platform?"

A quick test on some Windows applications:
Applications using F11 for full-screen:
-Firefox
-Explorer
-Notepad++

Applications _not_ using F11 for full-screen
-Adobe reader
-Windows Media Player (Alt+Enter)
-Microsoft Word Viewer
-Outlook Express (no full-screen mode that I found)
-3D Pinball for Windows (F4)
-MS Paint (no full-screen mode that I found)

With this unscientific research, I conclude that F11 is not a standard full-
screen shortcut on at least Windows.

Then why would we add F11 as a standard shortcut when we already have one?

If it is the standard shortcut for web-browsers then let the browsers add it.

--
Kåre Särs