List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Add F11 as full screen shortcut
From:       Peter <gostelow () global ! co ! za>
Date:       2009-06-03 11:11:15

On Wednesday 03 June 2009 10:26, Brian Shannon wrote:
> > That has nothing to do with the thread. The question is what default to
> > use. And the fact is, any will do.
>
> Defaults matter.

What matters is whether we can change the defaults, not whether we agree on
what the defaults should be.

> Imagine the completely ridiculous hypothetical situation where the
> button providing the back functionality used a forward icon. That is
> not okay, configurable or not.

hmm? If you'd said the forward arrow key as the shortcut for backspace, then
you might have an argument. But your hypothesis is no different than the
shft-ctl-f camp claiming F11 is 'completely ridiculous' and vice verse.

And if KDE doesn't use fullscreen, it doesn't have to set a shortcut.

The mistake the original poster made was assuming all apps should agree on the
same defaults. The purpose of the defaults is to allow the developers to
provide immediate access to the app, not satisfy every person's preference.

I'm sorry, but this thread is typical of holy-wars which never resolve
themselves. The whole point of configuring the keyboard is to avoid people
arguing with developers about which keys should do what. Let the developers
develop.

Regards,

Peter