List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Pressing unconfigured key
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2009-05-27 12:26:06

On 27.05.09 13:36:58, Jos Poortvliet wrote:

> >> Exactly.  So if you rarely hit such a key it is not going to annoy
> >> you :-)
> >
> > Does really KDE has to be minefield? Currently I am safe with every
> > mistake because nothing happens, so I don't care -- I have time to
> > correct myself.
> >
> > But with proposed change it will be more "boo, you missed F8".

> >> Definitely for that key only.
> >
> > ? But if you hit another unmapped key, new question to answer?
> >
> > Do you want map alt+f12 now?
> > Do you want to map ctrl+alf+shift+f3 now?
> > Do you want...
> >
> > Did you try MS Office with Assistant on? It was the great lesson and
> > users reaction to it shows us how they feel with forced decisions.

> >> Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying here.  Things like
> >> forward and backward, volume up/down etc. are usually mapped in the
> >> distros.
> >
> > Skip to the next track. No Amarok no mapped key.
> >
> > Do you want to map... ?
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> I think you (and most others in this thread) don't get it. Or I don't get it ;-)

Sorry, but that really wasn't obvious from Johns initial post. As this is a
KDE related list, I didn't even think that he talked about "unconfigured"
on the X11 level.

> Either way, I read John's proposal not as 'every shortcut that's not
> defined creates a popup dialog' but 'every unmapped key creates a
> popup dialog'. There is a huge difference between those. An unmapped
> key CAN NOT BE USED, period. It can not be used for a shortcut, it
> simply does nothing and the user can't do anything about it until
> he/she figures out how to use XEV and XMODMAP. Which sucks.

You don't really need xmodmap, but yes you do need xev.

> John's proposal would solve that by allowing the user to map the keys
> from a gui. I would love that: I have 2 keys on my keyboard which
> don't do anything, and I'm simply not going to use XEV and XMODMAP to
> fix it - I've already spend a few hours on that and it doesn't work.

I too have a few keys on my keyboard that simply don't work, unfortunately
in those cases X11 doesn't even see any keyevents for them. So even with
the proposed solution you might not hit all cases.

However I agree that if we do get a keyevent from X11 with a proper keycode
then we can inform the user about this. I think Maciej idea about using
notification for that is far better than a popup, if the notification
includes an easy way to open the keyboard configuration setup in a way to
directly assign a symbolic key for the keycode.

Andreas

--
You have taken yourself too seriously.