List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Pressing unconfigured key
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2009-05-27 12:14:04

On Wednesday 27 May 2009 13:36:58 Jos Poortvliet wrote:

> Either way, I read John's proposal not as 'every shortcut that's
> not defined creates a popup dialog' but 'every unmapped key creates
> a popup dialog'.

Ok, now I get it, thank you :-)

> John's proposal would solve that by allowing the user to map the
> keys from a gui.

Not entirely. I am all for easy configuring within GUI.
Systemsettings -> Keyboard -> New way of dealing with unknown keys.
Which can be done by choosing layout, pressing unknown keys, you name
it.

> I would love that:

Me too (because I had to google and use xmodmap). But showing popup
does not change the GUI setup -- it is another way to initiate
configuring.

If anything notification system should be used -- the reason for this
is notifications can be globally configured and I hope we will get
notification log soon. So this is less distracting and uniform. I am
simply against interrupting user. User has work to do, and there are
already enough distractions.

So:
popup dialog -> no
notification -> yes