List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Comic plasmoid
From:       Aurélien_Gâteau <aurelien.gateau () free ! fr>
Date:       2009-03-27 16:47:08

Matthias Fuchs wrote:

> Now what I was thinking about is illustrated by mockup1.png [2] and
> mockup2.png [3].
> If you click "Use Tabs" on mockup1 the config dialog would transform to
> mockup2. The listview would show all installed comics and next to each would
> be a checkbox. Ticking the checkbox would add a tab with that comic.
> That way there would not be the "Number of Tabs" option anymore as
> WindowsUninstall suggested to me.

Is it possible to make it behave like a browser? In the plasmoid, add a
"+" button to add a tab, then a "Select Comic" button would help you
choose the comic to view. An "x" button on the tab would get rid of it.

> Another problem in the general config page is the "Middle-click on the ..."-
> option. The only reason I added that as option was to "display" that feature.
> It has been added a long time ago by tokoe, but most people I talked to did
> not know of its existence. I'm not sure if it is a good solution to add a
> "Help" file instead of an option, because I think most people won't look at
> the help of something trivial as a comic plasmoid.

I can see the problem but have no idea at this point :/

> The "Maximum size of the widget"-button is another problem, as it does not
> make it clear what it is for and what happens upon clicking it.
>
> The comic applet resizes itself depending on the aspect ratio of the comic. By
> manually resizing the applet you tell it how much space is assigned to it. It
> will use that space or less, depending on how much space it currently needs.
>
> Now if you are looking at a comic that does not need much space you could come
> to the (false) conclusion that there is enough free space to increase the size
> of a different widget on your desktop, while in fact that space is "reserved"
> by the comic applet. By clicking that button you see how much space you
> assigned to the applet.

maybe you could show a translucent layer below the actual comic to
materialize this area? Don't know if this layer should always be shown
or only appear on mouse hover.

> The next option is "Smooth Scaling", when ticked the comics will be scaled
> smoothly. I do not really like that option as "Smooth Scaling" looks imo ugly
> for comics larger than their original size, while not smooth scaling looks
> nice for comics smaller than their original size. Probably I'll remove that
> option and play around a little and make the program decide which one should
> be used. If the results do not like nice I'll simply remove that option and
> always smooth scale the comics.

In Gwenview I disable smooth scaling when zoom > 200%. Maybe you can do
the same?

> "Show arrows only on hover" is a hot potato for me as a lot of people have
> asked me to remove that option but I oppose that as I do not use the arrows on
> hover because of their small clicking area and their change in position
> (always at the bottom of the applet).
>
> As aseigo put it (who does not like that option): "what we have are two kinds
> of arrows where the benefits of one are the weakness of the other" he
> suggested to combine both "so ... what if we took the good of each and
> combined them? put pretty arrows that are a bit bigger, and always in the same
> place that show on hover?" but I'm not sure how that should look like. I mean
> the hovering arrows could always be placed at the top of the applet and be a
> little bit larger, though the clicking area would still be no match compared
> with the other option in that case.

Looks like a good idea. You could also add a "full size" button as well
in here, it woul help for the middle-click issue.

> Then there is the additional information.
> Activating one of these options will show that in the applet. Clicking on the
> identifier will give you the option to jump to a strip (either date or number)
> directly -- this option is also accessable by the context menu -- clicking on
> the url will open it in konqueror. That is described by the tooltip.

Mmm didn't we come to the conclusion that checkboxes on the right looked
bad?

Aurélien