List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Keyboard shortcuts dialog
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2009-03-06 8:05:59

On Thursday 05 March 2009 23:25:50 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> If you want space between those buttons make the dialog larger.

...every time?

> Sorry but I fail to see the point. At least here I have a nice
> space between reset to defaults and print, which is about as wide
> as reset to defaults itself. The buttons themselves have space
> around them.

But still there a buttons mixed -- important ones, used all the time
and buttons which are rarely used (by me -- never) in the same place,
as their importance would be the same.

Andreas, I ask you this -- do you really think the frequency of
using "cancel" in this dialog is the same (comparable at least) with
button "print"?

> > look at the combobox which contain only two items (bug on itself,
> > but minor). Separate tab would solve this by design.
>
> Here the combobox has 1 item, because by default there's only 1
> scheme - the default scheme. Or are you talking about the more
> actions one?

More actions, sorry for not being specific. It nested in really ugly
way -- details (it is not details at all, it is scheme) -> more
actions. Lot of clicking, questionable savings.

> You know, I hate Ui's that have spaces and margins just to have
> spaces and margins. A ui should have as little spaces/margins as
> possible, but enough to easily separate the widgets. And at least
> to my eyes the shortcut dialog as it is right now fits that quite
> well, with and without the details shown.

I agree with you -- but at the same time I opt for making difference
of buttons of different importance. And different kinds of buttons
need some visual separation, because it is not about being ugly, but
about being informative -- space plays here the role of information.

> I guess I was really thrown off by the ugly grey button (and their
> number) in your mockup. If that weren't buttons, but "clickable"
> areas in the treeview, as Aurelien suggested that would probably
> work quite nicely. And probably increasing the space between
> lines/columns a bit at the same time.

Ok, great, I am all for it -- or in other words I am all for removing
this popup.

> But at least navigating and activating the
> recording by keyboard would be nice. Simply using arrow-keys and
> enter to do that job shouldn't be too hard to implement once we
> have it all in one row.

Exactly :-) This list could be treated like a table, so normal arrow
keys should be used, so user could gain some freedom in navigation.
Down, down, right, space, ctrl+h, down, down, space, ctrl+o, enter.
Job done, and fast :-)

Cheers,