List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: HCI Usability List
From:       Mike Arthur <mike () mikearthur ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-02-06 9:58:09

On Friday 06 February 2009 08:06:49 Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> Really? The discussion still continues on this list, you see a lot of
> new mail from Matthew and/or me, about new WM UI, right?
The discussion moved to how we will move forward from here. Some people seem
unwilling to change. That was what prompted my email.

> a) you did a good job, discusssion _stopped_ -- a week ago, so it is
> hardly "this list is just turning"
Please excuse my imprecise language.

> b) if you don't want to follow the discussion, nobody can make you to
I do want to follow the discussion, I'm just saying the discussion was getting
overly verbose.

> c) how often do you see summarization in early stage of planning
> anything? if you don't track the discussion, don't tell us what we
> should discuss now or then, because you simply don't have clue at
> what step we are.
I see summarisation in the early stage of planning a lot actually. When we
hold an early planning meeting at work a few people (not everyone who will be
involved) go off and thrash through the discussion in a private meeting room.
We then come back and talk to everyone else about it or send a summary to our
internal mailing list for people to discuss. Before going to the early
meetings we try and summarise our thoughts before hand rather than doing it
all in the meeting.

I do track the discussion, I've read 99% of the mails to this list in the last
few months so please don't mistake my lack of contribution as being a lack of
understanding.

I think I've made my point. I don't want a meta-meta-discussion about the
merits or not of my argument. Take it on board or don't, that's your call.
I've made a polite request and a not-so-polite request and I'll leave it at
that.

--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur