List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Ctrl-Q vs. Ctrl-W vs. Alt-F4
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-01-13 17:47:59

Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 January 2009 12:14:39 pm Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:

>>> My English has failed me before.
>>>
>>> Correct me if I am wrong but this means that "after ctrl+w the app
>>> window will be closed or will not be closed, and it is up to every
>>> developer. Ctrl+w should rather close the window, but it is ok if it
>>> won't be closed."
>>>
>>> I opted for the opposite -- after closing document (ctrl+w) app is not
>>> allowed to close its main window. And there are quite a lot of
>>> arguments for such statement.
>> That's how I read "*may not* close..." in the above; ctrl-w is not
>> allowed to cause the application to quit.
>
> Sorry.. polite language. It's supposed to be exactly as you say.  I'll change
> it.
>
> Close the current document.  If there is only one document open, this shortcut
> *will not* Close the window or Quit the application.

"shall not"? Aaaahhh... I see the confusion now, "may not" = "might not"
versus "may not" = "is not permitted to".

In such matters it is common to have precise definitions of certain
words... usually "shall" is one of those :-). Actually, now that I think
about it, "may" is usually the other, and it is defined as in 'might',
i.e. suggested but not prescribed :-). "Shall" of course is a strict
prescription (or proscription, in the case of "shall not").

--
Matthew
"So, then, to whom do I have to be Really, Really Nice, to make that