List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: powerdevil changing the brightness level - default behaviour
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2008-12-31 8:10:51

PS.

> 1. Those that want profiles to override the manually set brightness
> in every case (current default)
> 2. Those that want profiles' brightness to only considered if they
> are lower than the manually set (discharging) or if the power is
> plugged-in. 3. Those that want their manually set brightness level
> to never be changed automatically.

I would like to hear real-life cases of (1) and (3).

ad.1) this means we assume the computer is smarter than human and
knows the external world better than user -- I don't think we are at
HAL level yet, so if user decreases the brightness because he/she
will get on train without power and she/he is already running out of
battery it is insulting to increase the brightness -- because
computer puts itself in charge of knowing better

ad.3) it simply means the profiles should be removed as a feature.
User decreased the brightness from 100% to 90%, from now on, even if
battery is dying no automatic change? It looks more like punishment
that user was too brave and touched the brightness keys
  This point also adds more complexity -- brightness changes 100% ->
90% -> 100% should be still counted as change or not?

(3) is completely unreasonable and (1) is sane but we should like at
probabilities of specific behaviours. Lowering brightness can be done
because:
a) saving batteries for the future
b) the screen is too bright for current conditions
c) ? (anyone)

ad.a) computer does not know anything about the future
ad.b) computer does not know anything about current conditions