List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: powerdevil changing the brightness level - default behaviour
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2008-12-31 7:57:45

On Tuesday 30 December 2008 20:57:30 Sven Burmeister wrote:

> Example: Battery at 70% and the user sets brightness to 20%. The
> battery discharges and reaches the 25% mark and powerdevil switches
> to the next profile, which has 50% brightness set.
>
> The question now is, what do most users expect:
> a) the brightness set manually remains the same, i.e. 20%
> b) the brightness should be increased to 50%

In case of automatic increase the brightness with battery running out,
(a). I admit, smart observation.

> This was for discharging, if we plug-in the power, there are again
> two possibilities, what the user might expect:
> a) the brightness set manually remains the same
> b) the brightness is increased to 100%
>
> Currently powerdevil picks b) in both cases. From the reporter's an
> my point of view it should stick to a) in the first case.

Those cases are incorrectly shown. They should be:
a) the brightness remains the same
b) the brightness is increased to 100%, as in "fixed" profile
c) the brightness remains the same, as in ad hoc profile

And I opt for (c) -- the user made ad hoc changes to the profile,
those changes should not be discarded (why should they?) as long as
computer is on.
So the effect is similar to (a) but the reason is different -- it is
not that the brightness should be the same, but the fact the profile
was changed and the brightness should be changed accordingly.

> 1. Those that want profiles to override the manually set brightness
> in every case (current default)
> 2. Those that want profiles' brightness to only considered if they
> are lower than the manually set (discharging) or if the power is
> plugged-in. 3. Those that want their manually set brightness level
> to never be changed automatically.

(4) similar to (2). Remember any manual change per profile the change
was made for (this is very important part). Use such profiles till
the computer is off. With decreasing power apply profile brightness
only if the value is lower than current brightness -- in every other
case just apply the profile settings.

Why this way? It makes me mad every time I turn on computer, it is
plugged in, so I get 100% brightness, but it is morning so it hurt my
eyes, I decrease to 60%, I pull the plug out, I plug it in again and
I get 100% brightness -- ad hoc changes were discarded.

Cheers,