List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How to join the KDE Usability Team?
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-12-29 23:39:57

On Monday 29 December 2008 05:11:58 pm Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Monday 29 December 2008 20:43:33 Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> > I would not want to put ways users can submit usability bug reports
> > on a contributing page. Users submitting a usability bug is a
> > conflict of interest.
>
> ? I don't get it.
>
> HIG says "put X at Y". App violates this. It is valid bug for me (or
> issue with HIG), but logically they cannot both be right.

Sure, but users aren't going to have complete knowledge of the HIG, and not
just the KDE HIG, but of all other HIGs (since our guidelines are incomplete)
plus some design knowledge.  At that point they become junior designers which
is a different role.

With that being said, again, I would not suggest users go read and learn a
design document just to submit design bugs unless they want to become
designers.

> I fully agree with Dotan, I can only confirm this -- usability issues
> are second rate "citizens". HIG section is basically dead (well, the
> same with the webpage). And I am not even mentioning accessibility,

The HIG is dead?  It got transferred to Techbase this past summer with new
content from 2 SoU interns.  I wouldn't call it dead, it's just incomplete and
progress is slow.

> since there is no something like AIG it is harder to show needs for
> accessibility support.
>
> Cheers,
>
> PS. I would like to help very much in HIG/AIG editing, but I don't
> even where to start from. For now I added some rules AKA "wishful
> thinking" at the Novell/opensuse accessibility web page.
> http://en.opensuse.org/Accessibility/Wishlist

Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project
usability.kde.org