List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Centering of text body in tips of the day?
From:       Hannes Kuhnert <hannes () froschmaschine ! net>
Date:       2008-12-25 14:27:17

Rafael Fernández López schrieb:
> Basically, the main problem of KTip is:
>
> a) I fire, say, Konqueror, since I am going to read news before going to
> university.

I personally don't fire Konqueror, but I click a link, call a web adress or
ask Wikipedia for something … That's an important difference, because as
long as I'm working with content, I'm not interested in tips for
applications.

> b) KTip comes up. I don't even read the title, I close it. (I can bet
> 99.99% of the users do this).
> c) I use Konqueror.
>
> What is the problem ? KTip is blocker. That means, dude, I fired
> Konqueror for a certain reason, _not_ to read tips !
>
> So, I had an idea for "fixing" this problem, and was basically bring up a
> design which lets us show tips in a non blocker way.
>
> Screenshots look like this:
> http://media.ereslibre.es/2008/08/ktipreworktop.png
> http://media.ereslibre.es/2008/08/ktipreworktop2.png

It's no blocker, but if current KDE tips are blockers, this one is a waste
of space. I personally don't need startup tips, at least they never helped
my so far, that's why I always disable them, regardless how they are shown.

As far as I can remember I've seen tips presented that way in StarOffice
some years ago.