List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Centering of text body in tips of the day?
From:       Rafael =?iso-8859-15?q?Fern=E1ndez_L=F3pez?= <ereslibre () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-12-23 22:10:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

Now that we are on this issue, I started this summer something that I did
never finish (now that I check it, I lost the small work I did there), but I
would be willing to work deeply on it.

Basically, the main problem of KTip is:

a) I fire, say, Konqueror, since I am going to read news before going to
university.
b) KTip comes up. I don't even read the title, I close it. (I can bet 99.99%
of the users do this).
c) I use Konqueror.

What is the problem ? KTip is blocker. That means, dude, I fired Konqueror for
a certain reason, _not_ to read tips !

So, I had an idea for "fixing" this problem, and was basically bring up a
design which lets us show tips in a non blocker way.

Screenshots look like this:
http://media.ereslibre.es/2008/08/ktipreworktop.png
http://media.ereslibre.es/2008/08/ktipreworktop2.png

Additionally, the user can go to the next or previous tip, and tips could be
rotating depending on time, I think...

It would be nice to know your point of view of visual details as if that bar
needs a different background or whatever.

Also, those tips that contain a huge text or an image could be added a button
to read the tip itself, or that bar to be expanded (showing the first line of
the tip, or well, I don't know exactly what). However, tips should always be
brief.

What do you think ?

Regards,
Rafael Fernández López.