List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: System Settings as a Design Lesson
From:       Rafael =?iso-8859-15?q?Fern=E1ndez_L=F3pez?= <ereslibre () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-12-02 17:41:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Celeste (and all),

> I have a problem with the current implementation because it is less
> efficient than the old one. In order to offset the border-under-header
> effect, you must add more whitespace to create an object area.

Yes, I can understand this. So would you agree with something like ?:

Category
==================
Content
^
^ <= some space here for visual separation
^
Category
==================
Content

> Can you make the change and send a screenshot of Dolphin?  It might be
> easier to talk about if there is a picture to look at.

I can do later if still needed... want it ?

> > Is strange to me too because I can see everywhere documents where the
> > title that "sums up" or "gives you an idea" of what contents follow
> > usually are underlined, or even underlined till the end of the paper (as
> > done here, but on a screen). Does this still apply on those cases ?
>
> Do you have some examples outside of print?

Not sure, not right now though... But we usually try to make the screen as
similar as paper as possible... is our experience since humans started to read
and write.

> This is really a minor MINOR issue compared to all the other System
> Settings problems, such as a bad information architecture (what I plan on
> talking about next). It is discouraging that a simple discussion meant to
> be educational on a basic design principle gets everyone so upset. At the
> same time, it is also a very basic error that I would not hesitate to point
> out if it were a client application and would expect them to fix it.

Yes... well since I am rewriting KCategorizedView I would love to have a
_great_ mockup that both artists and usability experts love and I could try to
go for it... It would be really nice...

Regards,
Rafael Fernández López.