List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE4 and KRDC4 usability
From:       "Robert Knight" <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-23 0:49:00

> These things have been/will be fixed in KDE 4.2, which is the first
> KDE 4 release targeting the 'common user'. Blame your distribution for
> shipping 4.1.x by default, and breaking stuff by backporting things
> from the 4.2 branch.

Jos, that is ridiculous.  What else are distributors of
up-to-date-but-not-bleeding-edge distributions supposed to ship?
We're not supporting KDE 3.5 any more and 4.2 was still very much in
unstable development when they were rolling packages.  Most
distributions are doing the best they can with the difficult choices
which they were presented with.

Of the big distributions Ubuntu and Fedora have very predictable
release schedules.  I'm not sure about OpenSuSE and Mandriva.  If the
version of KDE that ships with the autumn distro releases doesn't yet
meet their needs then that if you're going to blame someone it would
have to be ourselves.

In any case, I'm not one to focus on the negatives and I'd agree that
4.2 trunk is looking pretty sweet.  A colleague at work recently
installed 4.0 (by mistake!) so I could see KDE 4 (Jan 11 2008) next to
KDE 4 (Nov 17 2008) and it is great to see how far 4.x has come since
January.  Its really starting to looking like something which I'd be
proud to show people who've not recently used (or possibly even heard
of) KDE.

Regards,
Robert.