List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 4.2 Toolbars
From:       Mike Arthur <mike () mikearthur ! co ! uk>
Date:       2008-11-20 13:10:33

On Thursday 20 November 2008 12:54:42 Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> Now I feel embarrassed because I still don't catch the idea :-). Maybe
> this way please (I just want to grasp idea what this feature does):
Don't be embarrassed! When I try and explain and you don't understand the
fault is mine, not yours!

> The first paragraph:
>
> 1. user turns this feature on
> 2. user (using mouse) opens edit menu
> 3. user hovers over "copy"
No, 3 should be:

3. user clicks copy
> 4. the large tooltip with help appears
So basically with this plugin it works like normal, you can still click menu
items, but it just tells you after you've clicked "hey, here is a faster way
of doing it". This also happens for right-click menus.

If you are masochistic then you can tell the plugin to make it so when the
user e.g. clicks copy then it DOESN'T copy but instead shows the message.

> The 2nd paragraph
>
> 1. user turns this feature on
> 2. user (using mouse) opens edit menu
> 3. user clicks "copy"
> 4. the menu closes
> 5. the "copy" button in the toolbar flashes
Something like that. I'd say the menu should close BUT the item they selected
to be copied is copied correctly.

So basically, both methods (other than the masochistic one which I wouldn't
recommend) result in the action working as expected from the menu but just
give the user a visual hint that they can do it faster another way.

--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur