List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 4.2 Toolbars
From:       Mike Arthur <mike () mikearthur ! co ! uk>
Date:       2008-11-20 9:26:43

On Thursday 20 November 2008 09:12:09 Peter wrote:
> Personally, I'd start the new user off with the menubar and ignore toolbars
> and short-cuts. If, or when, the user becomes familiar with the menubar,
> then I'd try a stripped down toolbar. The user should have seen, and be
> familiar with, the icons on the menu, so the toolbar shouldn't be a major
> issue. It may take a user weeks or months to navigate the menubar
> successfully, so there's no need to rush the process.
>
> At some point the user may complain about the awkwardness of the menubar,
> which is an indication they're ready to try something different. However,
> the user's initial success rate and motivation play a large part in
> learning KDE.
This reminds me actually of a very interesting plugin for Eclipse that I use
called MouseFeed (http://www.mousefeed.com/). Basically, if you turn it on
then it will, if you click a button in the menu or toolbar, show you the
keyboard shortcut so I can learn the keyboard shortcuts quickly.

I'm just thinking aloud but I wonder if you could use something similar to
give a user other hints about how they could be more productive, e.g.
highlighting toolbar items or right-click menus somehow?

Food for thought....

--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur