List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Automatic completion mode
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2008-11-17 17:25:26

> On Monday 17 November 2008 17:49:14 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> > There is another issue here -- how can you tell the difference
> > between suggested text and typed text. Color? So you have to
> > provide color for text, for selected text, for secure text (https
> > in konqueror) and for suggested text. And all those colors should
> > match and be visible for the user.
>
> Of course, but that's been solved since more than a year. We have
> /eight/ color roles per set, and you only mentioned a need for
> three (selected text is just normal text from the selected set).

Not really it has been solved, because the grayed out text does not
work too well. It is either unreadable or it is too similar to normal
text. And I still does not see benefit of having such type of color.

> ...and I'm not sure that you should be mixing 'secure text' with
> anything involving suggested text (how do you know in advance that
> the suggestion represents something 'secure'?).

I am mixing it for years :-) Example, current URL is https:// and I
simply start typing (secure address or not). Luckily Konqueror (and
most of the applications) does not use suggestion in-place. Krunner
does and the effect (see above) is unfortunate. It would be much
better to have "classic" suggestion list just with icons (imho).

Cheers,