List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KUrlNavigator widget usability
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-05-26 13:57:01

On Monday 26 May 2008 00:54:46 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 25 May 2008, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > What do you think about this? I personally like the first solution
> > better because it gives more context about where the user is,
>
> that's kind of the whole point of naming a location though =) the
> assumption that a literal path in the FS is more sensicle to the user than
> a name they themselves give it is a bit odd ;)

I was under the impression that naming a location is like a bookmark, not an
abstraction of a location.  How users interpret this function is extremely
important, because if indeed it is the bookmark concept, then being able to
navigate the FS from the bookmark makes sense and is necessary. In an
organized FS such as the photo archive example, I don't think it is
unreasonable that a user understands their FS organization enough to want to
go "up" a level in order to get to photos/2007 from the "2008 Photos"
bookmark.  If the user is forced to either "start over" by going to home or
edit the location (which shouldn't be an expectation for most users), you're
breaking their workflow.  We shouldn't force users to work a different way
than how they expect, especially if the concept is commonly misinterpreted
which leads to the need of working differently than the design supports.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
celeste@kde.org