List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KUrlNavigator widget usability
From:       Aurélien Gâteau <aurelien.gateau () free ! fr>
Date:       2008-05-26 7:58:26

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

>> Basically the idea is that everything above the place would be hidden,
>> but a [<] button would be added to reveal the hidden part.
>
> this sounds sane; though i'm not sure about the icon suggested. that
> sounds more like "back". perhaps up? or perhaps another > just before it
> that is clickable and shows the hierarchy leading up to it?

In fact I was thinking about the same icon Jacob suggested: a style arrow
similar to the one found in scrollbars. Another solution would be to use
ellipsis as the button text.

> note that in dolphi there is also the places folder at the start of the
> url navigator which mitigates this quite a but.
>
>> What do you think about this? I personally like the first solution
>> better because it gives more context about where the user is,
>
> that's kind of the whole point of naming a location though =) the
> assumption that a literal path in the FS is more sensicle to the user than
> a name they themselves give it is a bit odd ;)

The thing is: most users won't rename the places: they just drag the folder
icon to the "Places" widget and call it done. The place gets named from the
last folder of the url. This is probably not that informative.

One could also compare this with the way browser bookmarks work: When you
activate a bookmark from within Konqueror, the url bar gets filled with the
bookmark location, not the bookmark label.

Aurélien