List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Systemsettings
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-04-20 14:43:25

On Saturday 19 April 2008 18:35:10 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 17 April 2008, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> > 1. Do we have some guidelines in what cases buttons should have icons and
> > in what cases not?
>
> i don't think so. =/

I'll add it to the TODO list for the HIG.  There are a lot more buttons with
icons now than there were in old 3.5 releases.

> > 2. The Appearance=>Icons module could imho really need a
> > usuability-review.
>
> yep.

FYI, a heuristic review on Appearance has been given to Will.  It's just a
matter of whenever he gets around to fixing these things.

> > The biggest problem I've with it is that the preview is display at the
> > top and not marked as such. So the preview just looks like another
> > configuration-group and in my case I was needing a few ms of scanning the
> > whole dialog till I realized this. Probably anybody does have an idea how
> > this could be improved the right(TM) way?
>
> put it beneath the options and label it? *shrug*

Most of the previews in System Settings are below the configuration dialogs,
and in the case of Icons, they are above.  Possibly switching it to the
bottom and adding a Preview label will address this, but I don't know for
sure until I mock it up or see it implemented.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
celeste@kde.org