List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Akademy 2008
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-06 10:36:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 06 March 2008 09:40:45 Michael Rudolph wrote:
> On Monday 03 March 2008 17:22:10 Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> > Are there any HCI or Usability types planning on going to Akademy
> > 2008 in Belgium (August 9-15) and/or thinking about submitting a
> > presentation?  If there are enough HCI presentations or workshop
> > ideas, we may be able to ask for an HCI track.  However, we would
> > need several people to present and help organize the event, it is too
> > much work for 1 or 2 people to do on their own.
> >
> > If anyone is interested in a track like this, let me know so I can
> > keep count of interest and appeal to the akademy organizers for an
> > HCI track.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > ~ Celeste
>
> Hello Celeste,
>
> I'm not sure if you read about my "live review" idea over on
> panel-devel@ so I'll repost it here, where it belongs.
>
> I imagined it might be a good idea to have a "live review" talk, where
> basically someone with a sound understanding of
> human-computer-interaction would walk the audience through various
> implementations of user interfaces. Preferably there would also be
> different devices at display, like an iphone or Nintendo's wii.
> Understanding what makes the iphone so great and what are its
> shortcomings and how this relates to KDE could really be interesting. I
> guess the typical akademy goer might have heard of these devices, but
> looking at them through the eyes of an usability expert might perhaps
> be a quite enriching experience for most and would certainly help to
> raise awareness for usability matters among developers.
>
> Of course getting hold of devices and equipment to display them to a
> larger audience poses quite a challenge. It's just an idea.

I hesitate to tread where I am totally inexpert, but as I do a lot of on-line
user support I'd like you to consider the following.

Generally change is resisted.  I am expecting to have to work hard in the
coming months as more distros start including kde4.  I think you will have a
fair idea of the changes that are most likely to cause comment and dissent.
and it would help me a great deal if some time could be given to talking
about those specific aspects, and why the change is an improvement.  I want
to give accurate and definitive answers whenever possible.

Anne